"Riding your Computer Up" vs. "Lite Deco"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BSAC tables are notoriously aggressive. I took the ADP course with my old club. One of the first things said was while we would be taught how to plan dives using the 88s ox-stop tables (because it was required), we would not be diving the plan as it was too aggressive. Instead, we would use multideco to plan our actual dives after running various profiles (gf and vpm), discussing various pros and cons of each plan and deciding as a team what we would use.
I don't know anyone who actually dives the 88s.

BSAC tables are notoriously aggressive. I took the ADP course with my old club. One of the first things said was while we would be taught how to plan dives using the 88s ox-stop tables (because it was required), we would not be diving the plan as it was too aggressive. Instead, we would use multideco to plan our actual dives after running various profiles (gf and vpm), discussing various pros and cons of each plan and deciding as a team what we would use.
I don't know anyone who actually dives the 88s.

I ran the Buhlmann profiles on MultiDeco. The BSAC 88 NDLs look perfectly reasonable, it's the deco that surprised me. If you do any deco using the tables, you end up with surfacing code G. It takes quite a long SI to reduce that to a code where you can really dive again. I would imagine most Sports Divers dive a computer with a standard decompression algorithm these days.

Like @rivers I planned my ADP on the BSAC OX-Stop, and my previous Deco training plans were done on the 88's with the actual training done as per @Edward3c earlier post i.e. the actual dive is run a lot shallower as the practical is for timing to stops, holding stops etc. At age 50 the tables are way to aggressive for me, I'm happy in my more conservative world

There is an easy fix for that. Do a briefing and/or don't do deko and deep dives with people you don't know and have never been in the water with.
... that's a nice theory, but in practice it isn't as easy as you make it out to be ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

BSAC doesn't support solo diving. A dive is either a dive with mandatory deco or it isn't. Either way it should be planned, including gas requirements.

Thanks Edward, in some ways BSAC is quite advanced, in other ways, not so much. I think I will take myself a bimble and contemplate all I've learned over the last several days.

Yes, I have dived with instabuddies. A LOT actually. As you said, you don't know how they react and what they know and that's the reason you do a briefing outlining the profile of the dive. I also don't do a deep/deco dive as the first dive. That's pretty standard, IMO.

... it wasn't our first dive together ... just the first one that sent our computers past NDL. The dude wasn't a new diver ... nor someone I hadn't known and dived with prior to this circumstance.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A pre-dive briefing at least insures that your insta-buddy has the opportunity to know what is on your mind. With any luck, it can become a discussion that results in mutual understanding and agreement. Doesn't prevent all problems but sure produces an opportunity to avoid some.

I wonder how many pre-dive briefings include "and if your computer puts you over the NDL, don't just take off upslope like a clueless bunny" ...

Actually, what you're supposed to do if you exceed NDL is covered in most OW training. I know it was covered in mine (YMCA) as well as the many OW classes I taught (NAUI) over the years ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

OK, so how about solo, light deco dives?

How about it? If you're solo diving you should already have a redundant gas supply. Make sure it's got adequate capacity to honor your obligation, should one occur. It ain't rocket surgery ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom