Rick & Michelle's Trip Report - 2/11 - 2/18 Caribe Blue & Blue XT Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d56nut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

Well, we are back in Indiana (and not happy about it!!!).

Here's our big trip report!!! The link to our pictures is at the end of the report!

Saturday February 11th:
Flew out of Chicago (on time!) and landed in Charlotte on time. We had a free pass to the US Air Club and we totally enjoyed being in there during our layover! Headed over to the gate and got upgraded to First Class for the Charlotte to Cozumel leg of the flight. Then we started looking for Lou and Nancy (loudives). He told us to look for a fat balding guy and a white haired lady. Do you have any idea how many big balding guys there are in the airport!!!??? We finally found them and we became instant friends! Our flight to Cozumel from Charlotte was hassle free and it was awesome sitting in first class. Landed in Cozumel on time and made it through customs without a hitch. Bought two tickets for the shuttle (total of 16.00) and headed for Caribe Blu. We were given room 305 at Caribe Blu. It had 2 double beds, a fridge, a nice bathroom and great air conditioning. One of the guys at the hotel carried our luggage up the 3 flights of stairs (NICE!!!). John (jmps) stopped by our room and introduced himself...once again we made an instant friend! Once we were settled we walked to town to touch base with Christi at Blue XT Sea. Got everything settled with her and then we walked over to Chedruai (sp?) Grocery Store. Spent 6.00 (two 2 litres of Coke, some bananas and some chewy oatmeal bars. From there we headed over to Casa Denis for dinner! One of our favorite places to eat when we are in Coz. I had the pork tacos (3) and Rick had chicken fajitas (you will see as the report goes on that chicken fajitas is his favorite meal). We both had the tortilla soup and we each had a bottle of coke. Total bill for dinner was 26.00. By this time we were beat so we headed back to the hotel and we were sound asleep by 8:00pm.

Sunday February 12th:

Woke up at 5:30am. The wind was howling and the waves were big! Called Christi at 6:30am and woke her up (sorry about that Christi!!!). She called back a little later and let us know that the diving was cancelled due to weather. We got dressed and walked into town for breakfast at Rock N Java. Rick had something called Chilaquileas (sp?)...he said it was like a chicken enchilada with cheese and a sweet green sauce over it with 2 eggs over easy on it. He said it was good but he'd pick something different next time. I had the Johnny Lee Cowboy Breakfast...AWESOME! It was two biscuits with scrambled eggs over the top of them and two pieces of bacon over that and then the whole thing was covered in gravy. It came with potatoes, too. I had a can of Pepsi and Rick had coffee. Total bill was 15.00. After that we walked through town (not much was open but it was a nice walk...although it was very windy). Spent most of the rest of the day lounging around and chatting with Lou and Nancy. Dinner tonight was with the Scuba Boarder's at Sonora Grill. What a wonderful evening! Lou, Nancy, John, Rick and I grabbed a taxi and headed to the pre-arranged meeting place (Vista Del Mar hotel). The others joined us shortly! If I have it right, there were 12 of us: Lou & Nancy (loudives), John (jmps), Sally (coz sally), Bill & Lynn (valwood1), Marg & David (MMM), Bruce & Jeanne (akbpilot), Rick and myself. Sally talked to the people at Sonora Grill when we got there and she scored us one round of drinks for FREE!!! Way to go Sally! Dinner was awesome at Sonora Grill. I had the Mexican Platter (a cheese quesadilla, a chicken enchilada with mole sauce (didn't like the mole sauce), a chile relleno, and a skirt steak) and I had the tortilla soup. Rick had the chicken fajitas and the tortilla soup. Our total was 31.00.

Monday February 13th:

Breakfast: We ate in our room...bananas and oatmeal bars.

Diving: Blue XT Sea - Divemaster: Javier - Captain: Pedro (Mago had the day off): 1st dive was Santa Rosa Wall (75 feet). I won't bore you with what all we saw on our dives...it's all the usual wonderful stuff!!! Our surface interval was VERY COLD!!! I have NEVER been cold while diving in Cozumel so this was a new experience for me. Thank God for Christi's lined windbreakers...they were wonderful. During our surface interval we heard that the diving for the rest of day might get cancelled again so we headed out before they closed it. 2nd dive was Paradise Reef. 39 feet for 1 hour and 6 minutes. I didn't really get warm on the surface interval so I was a little chilled on this second dive. When we came up from the 2nd dive and got on the boat I was freezing!!! The water was very choppy and Pedro took us to the Caletta instead of to our hotel. They got us a taxi (there were 4 of us on the boat) and we got a warm ride back to our hotel (Blue XT Sea paid for the taxi! THANKS CHRISTI!!!).

Lunch: We decided to eat at the hotel. Headed up to the little place they have at the hotel...it's outside so it was rather windy (and I was still cold!) so we ordered our food and took it back to our room. I had the chicken tacos and Rick had a chicken Chimichanga and we had 2 cans of coke. Total bill was 14.50. It was good...nothing spectacular but it was good.

Dinner: La Choza...our very favorite place to eat!!! Lou and Nancy joined us for dinner. I had the Shrimp Fajitas and Rick had the Chicken Fajitas and Tortilla Soup and we each had a bottle of coke. Total bill for us was 35.00. I believe Nancy had the Beef Fajitas and Lou had a Chicken Breast. Oh, Nancy got a Margarita and she loved it! We couldn't figure out why it was orange in color instead of lime. She asked and found out that they put a shot of Orange Juice in their margaritas! She said it was awesome! Stopped at Chedraui Grocery Store again on our way back to the hotel and picked up more bananas, coca cola and oatmeal bars (bill was 8.00).

TO BE CONTINUED.....

Oh...link to our pictures:
http://www.photoworks.com/share/shareLanding.jsp?shareCode=A480CA2C03F&cb=PW

You might need to copy and paste the link. If the address doesn't work just let me know and I'll get it fixed.
Michelle & Rick

Here's the rest of the trip report:

Tuesday February 14th:

Breakfast: Bananas and Oatmeal Bars in our room

Diving: Blue XT Sea: It still looked pretty windy outside and I felt that I was not going to enjoy diving today (I was pretty miserable on Monday with being so cold). I told Rick to go without me. We were also scheduled for a night dive and I planned to do that one. Rick said his dives were good but that I would have been cold. First dive was Palancar Bricks and second dive was Paso Del Cedral.

I joined Rick for the night dive. It was great! Saw tons of life. The night dive was on Paradise Reef.

I owe a HUGE thanks to Lou. He saved my night dive for me! We were getting our lights ready (in our room) and we put fresh batteries in my light and turned it on. It stayed on for about 2 seconds and the bulb went out (it's an LED light and it's rather new....Princeton Tec will be contacted tomorrow). Lou let me borrow his light. Thanks again Lou!!!

Lunch: We had lunch at La Parrilla Mission. This is the one back on 30th. What a great find (thanks for having this on your list Christi). We both had the exact same thing here. One Bottle of Coke, Chicken Tortilla Soup and the Tinga De Polla. The Tinga De Polla was shredded chicken...seasoned...very good! It came with Tortillas and we made tacos out of the meat. Also came with refried beans and rice. There was enough meat on my plate to make 5 tacos! Our total bill came to a whopping 8.40!!!! 3.00 each for the meals and 1.20 each for the cokes! We will definitely be going back to this place more on our next trip!

Dinner: After the night dive we were hungry but we were also tired. We decided to go simple and we went to Rock N Java. I had a BLT and Rick had the Spicy Chicken Onion Quessidilla and we both had Tortilla Soup. The food was good....nothing spectacular (until I tell ya about dessert!) but it was good. We were just about ready to pay and head back to the room when we saw the brownies! I had read here that Rock N Java had good baked goods. We got two of their brownies "to go". Our total bill was 21.00. Got back to the room and we were so tired that we forgot about the brownies (see "breakfast" for Feb. 15th!).

Wednesday February 15th:

Breakfast: We ate our brownies from Rock N Java....WOW!!!!! That's all I can say....WOW!!!!

Diving: Blue XT Sea - Divemaster: Pedro -- First Dive was Palancar Gardens (80 feet for 54 minutes). Second Dive was Bolones (60 feet for 49 minutes).

Lunch: La Choza. We both had the tortilla soup. Rick had Chicken Fajitas. Had the Cheese Quessadillas. Came with refried beans and guacamole. We also got 2 cokes. Total bill was 26.00

Dinner: Lou decided he needed pizza!!! So we all headed to Pizza Hut. Our group was Lou, Nancy, John, Rick and myself. We pretty much had the place to ourselves! You'll see in one of our pictures that Rick and John and Nancy are holding up their Pepsi cups. Rick will be taking this picture to work with him. We had fun during the week with the Pepsi/Coke thing. Rick works for Pepsi and Lou used to work for Coke. The bill for the 2 of us (rick and me) was 11.00.

Thursday February 16th:

Breakfast: Bananas and Oatmeal Bars (fast and easy!)

Diving: Our last day of diving! Blue XT Sea - Divemaster: Pedro. First dive was Columbia Wall (80 feet for 40 minutes). Second Dive was Punta Tunich (sp?)....very fun dive...current was very fast! 61 feet for 45 minutes.

Late Lunch/Early Dinner (our biggest $$$ meal): Decided to head back to Sonora Grill. Another awesome meal. We both had the tortilla soup. Got an order of Guacamole and Chips. Rick had the Chicken Fajitas. I ordered the mixed seafood platter. I don't care for octopus so they brought me extra grilled shrimp instead. My platter consisted of grilled shrimp, a lobster tail, grouper, potatoes and rice. Our total bill for everything was 48.00.

Stopped one more time a Chedraui Grocery Store...bill was 8.00

Friday February 17th:
Breakfast: Rock N Java. We both had the Johnny Lee Cowboy Breakfast. I had a Pepsi and Rick had Coffee. Total was 15.00

Dinner: La Choza. Lou and Nancy joined us for dinner again...had a great time! Rick had Chicken Fajitas. I had the Shrimp Fajitas. Couple of cokes....chips and guacamole. Total bill was 34.00.

After dinner we walked to the square and they had live music. We stopped and got ice cream cones...yummy. Ate our ice cream cones while we watched the band play. Rick and I were entertained by Lou and Nancy dancing! It was great! They are very good!

Saturday February 18th...time to go home...total bummer!

Had breakfast at the hotel....eggs, potatoes, toast, jelly, coffee....can't remember what else. Total bill was 8.00.

Got everything packed and said our goodbyes to Lou and Nancy (John left the day before).

Checkout was a breeze and we headed to the airport. Got the upgrade to first class. Flight took off 30 minutes late. Not a good thing! Landed in Charlotte and headed to Customs and got our luggage rechecked. We RAN (literally) to our gate and they were already boarding. Scooted on up to first class again (we were spoiled by now). Took off from Charlotte on time. Our very funny captain informed us that it was 3 degrees in Chicago!!! When we left Cozumel it was 80 degrees and sunny! NOT FUNNY!!! Landed in Chicago on time and headed for baggage claim. Guess what tends to happen when you barely make your flight!!?? We only got 2 of our 3 checked bags. Oh well...nothing you can do about it except fill out the forms and hope it shows up. My dad picked us up at the airport and we headed home. We got a call on Sunday that our bag had been found. US Air had it delivered to us on Sunday night! I'm impressed that we got it so quickly. I figured it would take several days...if it was found.

We had a wonderful time! Already trying to figure out when we can go again!

Here's the link again to our pics:
http://www.photoworks.com/share/shareLanding.jsp?shareCode=A480CA2C03F&cb=PW

Michelle & Rick

No problem Michelle:wink: Like I said...I was already up...but barely...still gathering my bearings waiting for the harbor master report even though I KNEW what it was going to say :)

It was great seeing more of you guys this time and getting to chat with you!

I truly look forward to your next visit!

Great report! Made me wish we were there (again)!

Great report... and it was wonderful to meet you guys. I know OUR end of the scubaboard dinner table had good company and conversation!

Until next time...

Sally
Barefoot in Cozumel

MMMMMMMMMM Rock-n-Java brownies...must have Rock-n-Java brownies!

...and whole wheat pancakes, and moca-macadamian nut chocolate shakes and...well face it, just about everything on the menu!

Great report guys! Thanks!

Michelle,

Wonderful report. Now I know what the notebook was for. :) Great pictures. Do we get any money from the Pepsi advertising budget?

John

Back
Top Bottom