Revo RMS oddities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wibble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A couple of times whilst scootering on my Revo I've noticed the RMS suddenly drop to 20mins on the first occasion and yesterday down to 1 minute. Both times I stopped and waited for around 20 seconds and it suddenly jumped up to over 2h. Nothing else untoward happened throughout the dive.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Wondering if scootering cools the scrubbers and this affects the temperature readings?

Also, I know some people dislike the RMS. Why? (I've already had a sensor probe fail; the replacement's not cheap!)

I like RMS, but as you say the probes are expensive to replace.

So far I have had to replace 3 tempstick probes in 200 hours of running the unit. I have generally had big changes in the remaing cyce time (RCT) when I have had big swims with high WOB at depth, and then the RCT time has recovered on deco.

I’ve only noticed it when on the scooter and then only twice. The first time really concerned me, ended up stopping and checking myself for CO2 symptoms. Then it flipped back to 2h30 cycle time.

Like you, I do like the RMS feature which seems to be pretty consistent in my experience anyway.

Have had one probe fail which was at about 75 hours — my unit was manufactured in 2018, maybe that probe was from the bad batch. (I bought the Revo second hand in 2020 with just 1h in 2 dives on the 'clock' as the unfortunate first owner had an injury after ordering the unit which ended his diving career, poor soul. So no manufacturer's warranty left.)

The RMS is a terrific tool. Have done a bit of scootering on my rEvo, have never noticed any significant inconsistencies with the readings.
I can appreciate the frustrations of failed temp probes. I had 13 fail in the first three years of having my unit all replaced under warranty. I had to buy a couple more after the three year warranty period and was on the verge of giving up on RMS. Have not had a probe fail in the last 5 years.

The RMS is a terrific tool. I had to buy a couple more after the three year warranty period and was on the verge of giving up on RMS. Have not had a probe fail in the last 5 years.
I will say two of the probes of the three probes I have replaced, were because of user error.

I washed out the cannisters in water, because I had left some wet sorb in them for two weeks sealed in a dry-bag, and then I put the cleaned cannisters with the temp-sticks in infront of the heater, to dry. I realised about 5 to 10 min later, but it was too late. They didn't work.

Air dry you cannisters and tempsticks, and don't leave wet sorb to clump on the tempstick/probes.

I think one of mine might be getting ready to give up the ghost. I’m 200 hours in and never had an issue but now at least one is giving me wild fluctuations in cycle time. For me it did not recover but just stayed at like 20 mins for the next hour+ of diving. I knew it was a new basket and well packed so I wasn’t too concerned but it was a little disconcerting.

never heard of this i guess the probes are temp related and id imagine the water running past the counterlung would cool it ( via the holes on the case ) but i cant imagine it would be significant - what was the RCT on you scrubber predive

never heard of this i guess the probes are temp related and id imagine the water running past the counterlung would cool it ( via the holes on the case ) but i cant imagine it would be significant - what was the RCT on you scrubber predive
Sunday’s dive was 2h to 50m on a scrubber with 1h30 to 35m/115ft from the previous day's dive. Was about 20mins into the dive when I noticed the RMS on the Petrel displaying "C0:01" in a yellow warning background. Was scootering around the wrecks** so stopped and waited, it changed to "C2:45" after a few seconds. Never noticed it again during the dive.

** OT, but interesting dive on "The Twins", two ships (Irisbrook & Ville de Bordeaux) that collided and sank together in the English Channel. Great for scootering!

twins_mbes_01_0.jpg

I have never heard of that happening either. I too think RMS is great. I got rid of my rEvo's years ago.

I've not had that happen to me with my rMS.

The first thing I would check is the bottom of your probes. You can adjust the nuts that fix them to the bottom of the baskets. The adjustment allows you to get the bottom of the probe closer to or further from the board that reads the probe. I would check to make sure your probes are set to the right "height" on the bottom of the basket to ensure reliable reading.

If that all looks good, then I would expect a probe failure sometime soon...

I currently have my 2nd and 3rd rEvos. All 3 have been purchased used. All older units with rMS. I've had to replace the probes in all of them. But, I have yet to have a probe fail that I had purchased and installed myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom