Review: Orcatorch D620

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How did you measure?
with a tape measure..

Point light at wall from known distance (I used 5m)

Measure dia of bright spot for beam dia

Draw the two dimensions in CAD - and compare that with the beam dia given on Orca's website and hey presto - my inaccurate measurement was close enough to that of 8 degrees.

1 in 60 rule if you don’t have CAD. 1 degree is 1 unit for every 60 units.

Should have an 8 inch spot at 60 inches for a 8 degree angle.

So, at 5m, the hot spot should be 67cm for an 8 degree beam? That seems big, but the trig checks out pretty close (2 * 500 * TAN(4))

So, at 5m, the hot spot should be 67cm for an 8 degree beam? That seems big, but the trig checks out pretty close (2 * 500 * TAN(4))
69,927cm to be precise

To be fair I guess it depends on you purpose. It's perfect for inside wrecks. If anything it's too bright on teh high setting if there are particulates in the water. Perhaps rather than a 3 position button a variable adjustment would be better

I could be picky about the beam quality - but only because I work with lights and have certain expectations. Next time I go to Italy I might for a giggle put it on our R&D test bench

I know we could design a light that has better optics etc, could we build it for this price.. I doubt it.

Over all I'm happy with it. I think it is good value. I'm sure there are better but that comes at a price

with a tape measure..

Point light at wall from known distance (I used 5m)

Measure dia of bright spot for beam dia

Draw the two dimensions in CAD - and compare that with the beam dia given on Orca's website and hey presto - my inaccurate measurement was close enough to that of 8 degrees.
Thanks for the informative reply

but the trig checks out pretty close

It's one we use in flying all the time.

"Radar shows a storm at 90 miles that extends 10 miles left of our track. How many degrees to adjust our track? At 90 every degree is 1.5 miles so 7 degrees should do it."

I just checked their web site and it states 8° beam with 70° halo. It's an old canister design though.
View attachment 481994

Correct: the beam angle of OrcaTorch D620 is 14°. We have updated the info on our website. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Correct: the beam angle of OrcaTorch D620 is 14°. We have updated the info on our website. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

So, why did the poster in this thread measure the actual beam angle and find it to be 8 degrees?

So, why did the poster in this thread measure the actual beam angle and find it to be 8 degrees?
OrcaTorch D620 Primary Canister Dive Light Specially Designed for Underwater Adventure

This is an old thread but if you look at the official page it looks like the centre area of the 14 degrees beam is brighter.

Don’t know if it is only the pic or if the middle spot is brighter ? Maybe the guy measured the middle spot ?

I have another question: the canister looks chunky and small: is it too small to stow the long hose under it on a harness ?

OrcaTorch D620 Primary Canister Dive Light Specially Designed for Underwater Adventure

This is an old thread but if you look at the official page it looks like the centre area of the 14 degrees beam is brighter.

Don’t know if it is only the pic or if the middle spot is brighter ? Maybe the guy measured the middle spot ?

I have another question: the canister looks chunky and small: is it too small to stow the long hose under it on a harness ?
Yes it is too small to stow the long hose so I just tuck mine into my harness. Still easily deployed but stowed away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom