Review: Orcatorch D620

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently brought the D620 kit, and I like it

It is bright. I'm always suspicious on output measurements - because the output is meaningless unless a distance is quoted. Yes I work with LED lights, but they're used for TV - so a lot brighter but definitely don't like much more than splash or rain.

Bright is very bright for wrecks and the like, but you do get a lot of backscatter from plankton

Medium and low are fine.
I did find myself wanting to twist the front to alter the beam - but that would need expensive lens's and a travel system

The Halo provides good illumination especially in wrecks. The main beam punched down the corridor for example and the halo nicely lights up the periphery

It is well made, although I always roll my eyes when I see marketing announcing Aircraft grade material - the only difference between aircraft and commercial grade (Assuming the same alloy and heat treatment)is the allowable size and quantity of defects during the raw material production.

The Black anodizing is durable, mines been clanking around wrecks for a couple of days and is unmarked

Minor niggles

Yes the brightness selector. I'd prefer to be able with a single push, scroll High medium law then high, with a push hold to turn it off. It's a bit disconcerting the go black when going from low to high.

The handle - great, I do get nervous that the thumb wheel can come off if you turn too far. I have my handle covering the lense for protection and then move it to the grip position during the dive. So some captive restrain?

A nice bungee loop and toggle to tie the cord up would be useful.

I'm still trying to work out the ideal system to mount it. This weekend the canister was stuffed into a pocket. I want ti swap it between rigs (BP/w, BCD and SM) so looking to the ideal fixing solution which doesn't mean threading it onto a waist belt - something for me to ponder

Great product @OrcaTorch

I like it very much

12 batteries, and tuned up to put out 4000 lumens

Unfortunately Stuart It's not that simple

Throwing more input power and an LED can have to opposite effect.

Heatsinks and cooling along with well designed reflectors and additional beam shapers are the key before you throw more power for brightness.

I wish manufacturers would quote meaningful numbers, Brightness over distance. Light is subject to the Inverse Square law, you double the distance and you quarter the light output.

If you want bright - I've been working on a 25kW LED which is 4' in diameter... It also needs 400v which mich be a drawback - but it's bright, oh yeah its bright!

I'm still trying to work out the ideal system to mount it.

I use an old Apeks BCD corrugated hose retainer. its a velcro wrap around that fits through the slot on the 620.

I'll bring you one when i'm in Dubai again.

The reflective bit here:
Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 22.35.04.png

I use an old Apeks BCD corrugated hose retainer. its a velcro wrap around that fits through the slot on the 620.

I'll bring you one when i'm in Dubai again.

The reflective bit here:
View attachment 482119
YOu star

I'll swap it for a beer or few :)

Sounds good, how much do you think that’s going to increase the price by?

Is that measured by you? The site clearly says 8, is that inaccurate or...? Not fighting just clarifying.

It depends on where you look. @OrcaTorch has stated elsewhere (here on SB) that it's really 14.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom