Review: Kona Honu Dive Shop; Sept 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sbtao

New
Reaction score
2 tank Manta dive
As this is not connected to a previous thread... My wife and I are newbie divers who just got back from 2 weeks in Hawaii. I've found this board very informative and wanted to share some of our experiences for others who might find it helpful.

We spent a week on the big island and did 2 dives with Kona Honu Dive Shop. The shop staff were friendly and informative. It was $15ish cheaper than several other shops. The boat was nice and not crowded. 42' if i remember correctly. The food and drinks were tasty. Full service help getting into gear and getting out. The captain and dive instructors were all very friendly and talkative. Jason and J.R. were the instructors. J.R. was our guide. A couple in our group had a few problems with equalizing and nerves and JR did a great job of getting them sorted out and moving.

We saw 2 mantas and a number of rare fish on the sunset dive. We saw around 9 mantas on the night dive. I was the first one in for our group and immediately 2 mantas started swimming and bumping around me for several minutes. That experience was life-changing. Truly. In fact, my wife asked JR if the mantas were attacking me. hehe. The rest of the group got in and we then dropped down and enjoyed a show that has concretely made its way to my pinnacle life experiences list. I've seen this dive listed on numerous top 10 dives on various sites. If the other 9 are 50% of this one, I've got much to look foward to.

rating (1-10 with 10 being best): 10

salud,

sbtao

I hope to make it over there someday and try that dive...Now you need to dive with whale sharks :D

Glad you had a good time. I've dove with Kona Honu in each of the last two years. They were great. I especially like a big boat for night diving as it is an easier platform from which to work. Last year there were a bunch of mantas for the night dive. This year, there was only one and he was by the boat, not the ring of light. And, if it was not enough that we had only one manta, he had to follow a very tough act ... a couple of days earlier on Kauai a juvenile whale shark came to play with us during our surface interval. It stayed and played for about 10 minutes.

sbtao,

I agree with you. I have also done the night manta dive with Kona Honu and they were very fun and professional. Too bad you couldn't have done a few more dives with other dive shops so you would be able to compare.

I hope to get back over to the big island soon.

Chris

Leaving for the Big Island on Sunday. Soooo looking forward to it!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom