Review: Ghosts of the Abyss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

“Ghosts of the Abyss” Review 30 March 2003

I saw the 3d IMAX documentary on the Titanic today. I thought it was fantastic, better than the Bismarck special a month or so ago. I only wish it was longer than the 60 minutes, of the 900 min of Video we only get to see 60 min., I would love to see it all if I could. What sets this apart from other documentaries is the perspective you see it from, it’s behind the scenes type footage, which really makes you feel apart of it. It was all done using HD Digital video and the quality is amazing (only wish local vis was that good). The expedition was in 2001 but had been planned for 6 years. It took time to develop and test the new ROVs, Jake and Elwood. There is some amazing footage of deep inside the Titanic due to these ROVs. They are tethered to the MIR subs using a very small fiber optic cable that spools out the rear like a spider produces a web. They are highly maneuverable and the backbone of this documentary.

Imagine 2 Mir subs each controlling an ROV while the main wreck of the Titanic is being illuminated from above by a massive Lighting system called “Medusa” 12,000 feet above.

Very well done, it was better than I could have imagined

Anyone who enjoyed the Bismarck special is sure to love this also.

Andy

Please post your comments if you see this Documentary

Ahhh "ALL" the footage... would be a lot... Mr and Mrs. Howard Hall are the two that do A LOT of the filming for IMAX these days.

They spend quite a bit of time under water... you should see the setup they use to film those IMAX movies... AMAZING stuff man..

anyhow... I enjoy all of Howards work..

:D

After watching the "Ghosts" trailer, I am very excited about the possibility of the film coming here to Little Rock. On a side note, I also got the chance to see the piece on the History Channel concerning the battleship Bismarck. I was very impressed with the story and the treatment of the german sailor's points of view.

Medic13

Yes it is strickly going to be Imax. Its 3d and you need to wear the visor to view this documentary.

its well worth it.

Andy

Disney is the distributor and they have released it in regular theaters. I live in Harrisburg PA and saw it in the local multiplex. Great movie, I want to see it again in IMAX. The 3d was good but not even close to IMAX.

They use these neat little robot subs that are about the size of a 20 inch tv to penetrate the Titanic. One of the bots loses power in the wreck, they do a neat rescue using the other bot.

Cool movie, highly recommended.:)

Our LDS has rented/reserved the local Philadelphia IMAX theatre for a Sunday evening, and is having a special showing of "Ghosts." And, if you spend $50 with them between now and then, they will throw in two tickets.

A good way to get the staff, instructors, divers, and newbies together for a great 3-D show.

Went and saw the IMAX 3D Ghosts of the Abyss movie last night. It was awesome, felt like I was actually diving on the Titanic. The use of abaritions from 1912 on the sunken wreck was great. The only downfall of the movie if there had to be one, is that they films over 900 hours of footage I believe to make this 1 hour movie, and a lot of it was showing the reactions of the crew (Cameron, Paxon, etc.) through the port hole of the submersibles. With that much footage, I would have rather seen more of the Titanic than there reactions to what they were seeing.

But by far an excellent movie, worth the $8 to go see it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom