Returning to Colorado - What Type of Exposure Suit is Needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, I agree with Robin, for water temps like those of the Blue Hole (~62 degrees). When the outside temp is really warm, you have to partially remove your dry suit to be comfortable during surface intervals. On the other hand, no matter how warm it is outside (ambient), if the water temp is below 45-50 degrees, you'll probably want a dry suit. And I can't imagine ice diving (one the things mentioned in the OP) in a wet suit - although I'm sure some have. I'll bet they didn't do subsequent dives the same day though.

I really think that Blue Hole (and Rock Lake and surrounding heated holes) is different than Colorado Alpine diving, although some can be during certain parts of the year. In a perfect world, you'd have both.

Hey Michael,

I'm with BigBubbaJ on this. There's been a few hot days when a wetsuit would have been nice, but even then... drysuit.

Here's another thought -- drysuits take practice. That's another reason why I prefer to use one even in warm weather, so that I'm familiar with the gear and configuration when things get challenging (like in cold water and ice diving).

Give us a yell when you get in town and want to dive, wet or dry!

glenn

g2:
Hey Michael,

I'm with BigBubbaJ on this. There's been a few hot days when a wetsuit would have been nice, but even then... drysuit.

Here's another thought -- drysuits take practice. That's another reason why I prefer to use one even in warm weather, so that I'm familiar with the gear and configuration when things get challenging (like in cold water and ice diving).

Give us a yell when you get in town and want to dive, wet or dry!

glenn

Thanks Glenn and everyone else for the great input. I sure will give a shout out once I get back home. I noticed that Colorado and the Rocky Mountain Region has a large diving community and I really want to intregrate into it.:colours:

I saw that A-1 has a dry suit class that I will take. I think that once I get some instruction on their use, then I can make an ever more informed decission. I think right now it is a case of the "grass is greener on that side of the fence." However, with that said, if it looks like a cow, moos like a cow, and smells like a cow...then there is a good chance it is not a horse. So I am leaning towards a dry suit. If I do go that way than I have to decise which one? Oh the bitter sweet joys of diving. :cool3:

~ME~

If you can afford a drysuit, then get one... and head out to Calif for some of the best diving on the planet. We have been alot of places, and Calif still hits in our top tier.

robin

Interesting. I've heard that Colorado has more divers per capita than any other state. I always thought they dove the tropics to escape the cold, snowy winters (wouldn't blame them). Am pleasantly surprised to see that a number of you Rocky Mountain types dive locally!

Interesting. I've heard that Colorado has more divers per capita than any other state. I always thought they dove the tropics to escape the cold, snowy winters (wouldn't blame them). Am pleasantly surprised to see that a number of you Rocky Mountain types dive locally!

Years ago someone on SB had a signature line saying that Colorado was just a plane flight away from great diving. I am sure the vast majority of our divers still feel that way, but we do indeed have a healthy number who are happy to dive locally.

As for which dry suit to buy, I have decided that an important factor is the ease of having maintenance done on it. When seals go bad (sounds like a reality TV show), you need to have them fixed, sometimes very fast. A few weeks ago I was on a boat that was about to drop three groups of divers in rapid succession. The plan was for my buddy and me to splash first. As I pulled on my suit, a wrist seal ripped. The only impact that had on the dive plan was that my buddy and I splashed last. With most dry suits, my dive day would have been over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom