Restricted Access ???????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lionfish-eater

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I think this article is saying that no new permits are being issued and if an operator violates any rule, they could loose their permit entirely. Maybe someone else can explain what this means.

Conanp will restrict access

COZUMEL, August 8.- After the entry of more than 1,500 divers to the reefs of the Arrecifes de Cozumel National Park, the National Commission of Protected Natural Areas (Conanp) will restrict the overload to avoid damage to the tourist ecosystem, said Cristopher Baca González , director of Conanp.
Baca González, in this regard said that before the important influx of visitors to the beaches and reefs of the Arrecifes de Cozumel National Park, and after having more than 20 years with the care of the ecosystem, which has allowed the health of the corals, so that they continue giving the marine beauty to the visitors.
"Due to the overload of boats, and the approximately 1,500 tourists who come to the reefs mentioned above, to practice snorkeling, diving and boat rides through the sky, it could cause damage to the tourist ecosystem, and that is why has granted new authorizations, according to the mandate of law that orders that protected areas should not be used, on the established capacity of loading, and that there is currently an overflow indicator, "he said.
Adding, "at this time there is a period of non-granting of authorizations, in addition that if someone loses their permits for non-compliance in any way, simply the concession is lost, being the way to respect or restrict the general overload of the 244 boats, although we have exceeded 17 boats, these focused on diving of all kinds, snorkeling and boat rides, which must apply good practices, such as the photographer for example, which has more contact with the reefs.

I can see that this is a poorly translated google article, but without the original I can’t really correctly translate the actual article. (I don’t see a link to the original)

However, it is not new that no more permits are being issued. There has been a cap or moratorium on new permits since at least the year 2000. The only way to obtain permits is to purchase them from someone who is “retiring” or selling their permits. In that case, the permits can be transferred, but they are not new permits.

The dive market is over saturated and there is a limit on how many divers they want in the protected area, including el Cielo.

Boats without permits have become a huge issue because so many want to do what they want to do without any regard for the laws and impact on the reefs. The restriction applies to boats operating without permits - those who have been working without permits, despite warnings will not be given authorizations even by transfer is one of the marine park proposals. Likewise, if an operator is in violation of park rules, they can risk losing permits.

Many complain about the lack of enforcement and that’s because most don’t understand the role or jurisdiction of the marine park or other authorities. The marine park authorities are not law enforcement. They establish the regulations, issue or revoke permits, monitor activity, impose fines and provide training and education as well as various environmental projects or events. So the only “enforcement” may be delayed in the form of revoking or not renewing permits for those who already hold permits or imposing fines.

PROFEPA and the Navy are the law enforcement arm over those who don’t hold permits. Several boats have been “removed” from the park over the past couple of months for not having permits. In some cases there were divers on these boats who lost their dive day - but that’s on the operator, not Cozumel authorities.

When Park Permits are renewed later this year, it will be much easier to identify the boats who are authorized. The marine park is creating an informative website that will have an entire section dedicated for visitors to identify “legal” boats. There will be a list of operators and boats who are in compliance with the Marine Park (and the Harbor Master by default) as well as links to websites and contacts for these operators. Licensed boats will also have special Flags and “stickers” on the boats and in their shops and on their websites so they can easily be identified by guests and authorities on the water as well.

Enforcement plans and strategies are being rolled out as we speak. So this is just another reason it is in the best interest of divers to ensure they are diving with a legal and legitimate operator.

Until the website is rolled out, this list (link below) has all authorized boats listed - and it is updated regularly - so if your favorite boat is not listed, it means they do not have permits.

Embarcaciones autorizadas dentro del Parque Nacional Arrecifes de Cozumel

Last edited:
Hope they don't rely on generic sticker or flag. Too easy to counterfeit. If sricker, it should be a permit numer that is tied to boat name.

I think this is long overdue. On my last trip I saw several new to the area boats that I doubt had permits.

Hope they don't rely on generic sticker or flag. Too easy to counterfeit. If sricker, it should be a permit numer that is tied to boat name.

Yes, there are permit numbers for each boat already, so the plan is to use those numbers on the stickers and flags I believe - but there will be control to Prevent counterfeiting as well as a cost to each boat owner for the flags and stickers to prevent raising MP fees. We (permit holders) actually all voted on and agreed to this.

I think this is long overdue. On my last trip I saw several new to the area boats that I doubt had permits.
and you would be surprised at who some of the non permitted boats belong to. Just to show what a numbers game Trip Advisor is, there are at least 3 of these “illegal” operations in the top 10 on Trip Advisor - not only do they not have permits for their boats (2 have boats but no permits, 1 has no boat) but aren’t legally registered businesses either. But trip
advisor does no vetting and it’s easy for a new “operation” to shoot to the top regardless of legal status or legitimacy.

I can see that this is a poorly translated google article, but without the original I can’t really correctly translate the actual article. (I don’t see a link to the original)

However, it is not new that no more permits are being issued. There has been a cap or moratorium on new permits since at least the year 2000. The only way to obtain permits is to purchase them from someone who is “retiring” or selling their permits. In that case, the permits can be transferred, but they are not new permits.

The dive market is over saturated and there is a limit on how many divers they want in the protected area, including el Cielo.

Boats without permits have become a huge issue because so many want to do what they want to do without any regard for the laws and impact on the reefs. The restriction applies to boats operating without permits - those who have been working without permits, despite warnings will not be given authorizations even by transfer is one of the marine park proposals. Likewise, if an operator is in violation of park rules, they can risk losing permits.

Many complain about the lack of enforcement and that’s because most don’t understand the role or jurisdiction of the marine park or other authorities. The marine park authorities are not law enforcement. They establish the regulations, issue or revoke permits, monitor activity, impose fines and provide training and education as well as various environmental projects or events. So the only “enforcement” may be delayed in the form of revoking or not renewing permits for those who already hold permits or imposing fines.

PROFEPA and the Navy are the law enforcement arm over those who don’t hold permits. Several boats have been “removed” from the park over the past couple of months for not having permits. In some cases there were divers on these boats who lost their dive day - but that’s on the operator, not Cozumel authorities.

When Park Permits are renewed later this year, it will be much easier to identify the boats who are authorized. The marine park is creating an informative website that will have an entire section dedicated for visitors to identify “legal” boats. There will be a list of operators and boats who are in compliance with the Marine Park (and the Harbor Master by default) as well as links to websites and contacts for these operators. Licensed boats will also have special Flags and “stickers” on the boats and in their shops and on their websites so they can easily be identified by guests and authorities on the water as well.

Enforcement plans and strategies are being rolled out as we speak. So this is just another reason it is in the best interest of divers to ensure they are diving with a legal and legitimate operator.

Until the website is rolled out, this list (link below) has all authorized boats listed - and it is updated regularly - so if your favorite boat is not listed, it means they do not have permits.

Embarcaciones autorizadas dentro del Parque Nacional Arrecifes de Cozumel
Sounds analogous to the situation in Florida with regards to full liquor licenses. Except in the enforcement, where all types of police can and will enforce the rules here.

I know there a ton of shops on the island, but I don't think I have heard of 4 of the top 10 shops on TA. I don't pretend to be an expert on Cozumel Diving, but I am active on TA, here, and numerous Facebook pages and some of those shop names never come up.

How do you even see the top 10 on TA? I didn't know they ranked dive shops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom