Resources for Identification of Marine Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey folks,

I'm a relatively new diver, but I'm very interested in marine life. One thing I've noticed since I started diving is that it's fairly difficult to find books dedicated to the identification of underwater fauna. Either that or I'm not looking in the right place. That's why I'm here! While I've learned the names and faces of some of the more common critters in my metaphorical diving backyard via written dive guides and word of mouth, I'd love a more comprehensive resource. What are your recommendations for resources/finding resources for identifying marine life? These can be regional, but I'd love something comprehensive as well. I'm in the Monterey/Carmel, CA area for the record. Thanks!
I am wondering, do you have a means of taking underwater images? Doesn't have to be fancy, a Go Pro, one of the various housings for iphone or android phones. Also do you bring an underwater flashlight with you while diving? A good light is pretty much essential to anybody trying to expand there list of critters and fish while diving. I see some people have pointed you in the right direction in regards to books.

Have you heard of iNaturalist.org? inaturalist . It's free to join, and is an excellent resource for identifying flora and fauna worldwide. Members can upload their own observations for identification, or they can help others by making identifications. If members agree on identification of a specific observation, then the observation becomes "Research Grade". There are thousands of separate projects. For example I dive the "world famous" Blue Heron Bridge frequently, there is an inaturalist project started by somebody called the Blue Heron Bridge Project, where I contribute observations. It says you are in the Monterey/Carmel, Ca area. So you can take your own images and compare it in different projects, better yet upload your observations and add them to different projects. There are quite a few projects available for just that area these include but are not limited too:
Monterey Bay Subtidal Diversity Project
Monterey Bay Marine Biodiversity
Coastal Marine Fishes of Monterey Bay
Of course there are terrestrial projects as well:
Interesting Birds of Monterey/SF Bay Areas
And challenge projects:
Monterey County Bio-Blitz

I see somebody already recommended the REEF books, but you might want to check out REEF.org . You might do a data search by hitting the Program Tab, and then going down the list to "Explore Data- Create Reports". You would have to drill down a little further but you could find this Geographic Zones: S. Davenport - Point Lobos Reserve. It gives a list of fish and invertebrates and the sighting frequency of each from over 4000 surveys collected over 25 years for that specific area. Of course you can join both inaturalist and REEF for free and contribute your own observations and surveys. If you do a REEF survey on every dive it is a good alternative to keeping a logbook because, the length of dive, depth, current, date, temperature, underwater topography, and of course all the species you observe get recorded in the database.

If you really want to go down the identification Rabbit Hole, find a species on iNaturalist and click on the speices name in bold letters. For example Green Razorfish of course you will see the picture but scroll down and you see the following as below:
Map About Taxonomy Status Similar Species, below and to the right you will see links to various databases on that specific species. There is enough information here to keep anybody busy, pretty much forever if they are interested. Hope this all helps.

Green Razor Info Page.JPG

.... of each from over 4000 surveys collected over 25 years for that specific area.
That's really cool !!
Is there also a comparable/similar "statistic" for Blue Heron where you dive (ie #of surveys in # of yrs @BHB) ?

That's really cool !!
Is there also a comparable/similar "statistic" for Blue Heron where you dive (ie #of surveys in # of yrs @BHB) ?
@Johnoly of course there is, Blue Heron Bridge Reef Surveys! You give me thumbs up on the Blue Heron Bridge Trolls all the time, I always write, "did a REEF Fish Count, xx species in xx minutes", when I do a condition report. There are well over 2000 surveys for Blue Heron Bridge alone (almost 3000 hours of bottom time), I have done well over 1000 surveys for BHB. BHB has more species of fish recorded for the Tropical Western Atlantic than any other site in the REEF database, at present 459 species. LBTS is number six on the list (I have over 1000 surveys there as well), all the other top ten sites are in Bonaire. Jupiter Inlet to Key Biscayne area has more than 13,000 surveys in the last 29 years.

@Johnoly of course there is, Blue Heron Bridge Reef Surveys! You give me thumbs up on the Blue Heron Bridge Trolls all the time, I always write, "did a REEF Fish Count, xx species in xx minutes", when I do a condition report. There are well over 2000 surveys for Blue Heron Bridge alone (almost 3000 hours of bottom time), I have done well over 1000 surveys for BHB. BHB has more species of fish recorded for the Tropical Western Atlantic than any other site in the REEF database, at present 459 species. LBTS is number six on the list (I have over 1000 surveys there as well), all the other top ten sites are in Bonaire. Jupiter Inlet to Key Biscayne area has more than 13,000 surveys in the last 29 years.
For comparison, in Bonaire:

Total Surveys: 30630​

#Species Reported: 562​

Average Species Reported on a Survey by Expert Surveyors: 81.00​

Average Species Reported on a Survey by Novice Surveyors: 56.25​

Bari Reef in Bonaire is often given as the "most surveyed place in the Caribbean. I don't know if it is or not, but it has had a lot of surveys!

Total Surveys: 3022​

#Species Reported: 431​

Average Species Reported on a Survey by Expert Surveyors: 84.80​

Average Species Reported on a Survey by Novice Surveyors: 65.44​

I am wondering, do you have a means of taking underwater images?
Thanks for all the links and info! I've got a lot of digging to do haha. I currently do not have a way to take photos underwater. Getting some sort of basic camera setup is definitely on my list of to-do's, but I've been putting most of my money into gathering my own gear at this stage. I have not heard of inaturalist - I'll make an account! I like the idea of being able to contribute my own observations towards a larger project.

Hello. I'm also a beginner at diving and trying to identify fish in the MTY area. Here's an online resource I've found useful. +1 on the REEF Fish books. I don't have the CA book yet, but I have used the ones for Florida/Caribbean/Bahamas, and they're excellent books.
Great photos by Randall Spangler. He also gives guided dives of Monterey Bay. I’m hoping to dive with him next year.

Thanks for all the links and info! I've got a lot of digging to do haha. I currently do not have a way to take photos underwater. Getting some sort of basic camera setup is definitely on my list of to-do's, but I've been putting most of my money into gathering my own gear at this stage. I have not heard of inaturalist - I'll make an account! I like the idea of being able to contribute my own observations towards a larger project.
I highly recommend a GoPro. Relatively inexpensive and easy to use, of course you can add lights, etc to make it really expensive (and better), but it does a really good job as-is in a waterproof case (you don’t even need that if you stay shallow).

Back
Top Bottom