Resources for Identification of Marine Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrMello

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey folks,

I'm a relatively new diver, but I'm very interested in marine life. One thing I've noticed since I started diving is that it's fairly difficult to find books dedicated to the identification of underwater fauna. Either that or I'm not looking in the right place. That's why I'm here! While I've learned the names and faces of some of the more common critters in my metaphorical diving backyard via written dive guides and word of mouth, I'd love a more comprehensive resource. What are your recommendations for resources/finding resources for identifying marine life? These can be regional, but I'd love something comprehensive as well. I'm in the Monterey/Carmel, CA area for the record. Thanks!

There are also apps. The Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute has a fishes: eastern pacific and fishes: greater Caribbean app. Both are free. They’re not quite as comprehensive as the Reef Fish ID books but they’re on your phone all the time.

There are also apps. The Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute has a fishes: eastern pacific and fishes: greater Caribbean app. Both are free. They’re not quite as comprehensive as the Reef Fish ID books but they’re on your phone all the time.
The Smithsonian apps are great on Apple, but don't exist or run (depends on the app) on Android.

Also huge thanks on the REEF recommendation. I'm looking at them now.

And in California the best Fish Bible is by :
Milton Love < Certainly More than you want to know about the fishes of the Pacific Coast

Yep, that's the title !!

I've ordered copies of the REEF CA to Alaska guide + the recommendation by Johnoly. Thank you for the guidance! I'm excited to get to know the critters in my area. Cheers ~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom