Resort's " New Normal " Rule - No AIR 2 or diving your long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My only experience of OC diving where one of the divers had a primary regulator and only an AIR2 was the USA.
In the UK, (almost) everyone has a high quality Octopus. AIR2's are **** to breath off at depth, and very restrictive if you are the rescuer, a bloody pain if you are the casualty... just as bad as buddy breathing (although nothing is that bad).

CCR diving is offset by the fact that the AP Units used to come with an AIR2 as the backup. However, I can't remember diving with many who hadn't added a regulator on a necklace, normally in-place of the AIR2. Thats the first thing I changed on mine.

The majority of the BSAC divers I have dived with have a fully independent AAS. Either a pony, or a twinset. The only real exception is very new divers, and those learning to dive.

Other than 'holiday' dives (Red Sea etc), I can't remember the last time I dived without a fully independent AAS. Originally I dived single and pony, then independent twins, then manifolded twins. Now mostly CCR with a stage.

I've donated for real on 4 occasions, on all occasions I was waiting for my buddy to take the offered regulator. We both new they would be needing it well before it became critical.
Once on the Leopoldville, once on the Murree, twice at inland sites.
I've required gas twice due to failures, and i knew we had an issue before the gas ran out. Once on the Prince of Wales, once on a deep wreck off Porquerolles.

At least in the short term we will need to make adjustments in the way we dive. The bigger problem will be diver training, because this will impact what we can and can't teach and how we teach it.
If you are on a manifolded twinset, just close the isolator. You can't run out of gas unexpectedly then. You alternate cylinders, and you always have a cylinder with gas in it if you have a failure.
The only reason I stopped diving independents, is because you can't get the gas from the cylinder that you have shut down. If you have a closed manifold that's no issue, just open the manifold to scavenge the gas.
Remember, diving a closed manifold is effectively the same as independents or side mount.

In the short term we will adjust what we do and how we do it.

AIR2's are **** to breath off at depth, and very restrictive if you are the rescuer, a bloody pain if you are the casualty... just as bad as buddy breathing (although nothing is that bad).

Weird, my atomic ss1 breathes very much like my other atomic regs at depth. Like other regs, there are some air2s that breath great and there are some that breath poorly.

Also, if you're the casualty in a rescue scenario, the use of an air 2 is totally transparent to you. Unless you guys over there are training that the air2 is donated, in which case, this is a training problem, not an equipment problem.

At least their comments on long hoses and such are "recommendations" and their no air-2 rule is limited to only supervised dive activities. I still think its ridiculous.
Perhaps most divers at Buddy would not be doing guided shore dives or training, but, many, many of them do boat dives. I would imagine @tursiops could comment, I believe he has taken groups a few times per year

At least their comments on long hoses and such are "recommendations" and their no air-2 rule is limited to only supervised dive activities. I still think its ridiculous.
"Supervised" includes boat dives.

So that's a question. Is an unguided boat dive a "supervised dive activity" or does that only apply to DM guided dives?
All their boat dives are "supervised." DM (or two) in the water, 100 ft max, no solo.

I still missed which OP is doing this

Back
Top Bottom