Resort's " New Normal " Rule - No AIR 2 or diving your long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even if you accept (or prefer) octo donate, I haven't seen a solution for testing the octo before a dive. My training and common sense dictate that I check both seconds before every dive. It's so ingrained, I'd probably have to put a flag on the mouthpiece to keep from doing it subconsciously.

But what happens here? Don't check your octo for a week of dives and then hope there's no issue if it is needed? Maybe the plan is to assign you a buddy for your entire stay and they test it for you. :confused:

And what if you buddy is your spouse or someone you are sharing your room with? Are they going to make couples follow this?

In my experience, for primary donate configurations, combination inflator/2nd stages (Scuabpro Air 2, Sherwood Gemini, Aqua Lung Airsource, Tusa DuoAir, Atomic SS1, Zeagle Octo-2, Mares Air Control, Oceanic Air XS 2, XS Scuba MultiMax, probably others), are considerably more common than long hose (40 inch, 5 foot, 7 foot) primaries with a bungeed back up.

Similar to the most common choice of BC How do you dive, part 2? you might never think this from sampling SB :)

If your SPG came off you had at least 20 minutes (with a full tank) before you were OOG. What's the hurry?
45 minutes into a 20m dive, last time I had checked I had 55bar in a 9Lt cylinder - this was in the days when we thumbed a dive at 30bar.
And why did you replace your AIR2? It is a fine system for you, just not to give to someone else.
I added a proper octopus, but retained the AIR2 for a few more years.

My buddy ignored my OOG signal, but signalled he wanted 2 more minutes before surfacing. I reached over and took his AIR2. Now I had his buoyancy controls and we were going up. We did a deco stop before hitting the surface where the boat was waiting. They knew there was an issue because the sea had erupted from my leaking hose. Before my next dive I had replaced my AIR2.
Your conclusion from that situation was that the equipment was what needed replaced?

Current diving practices have evolved and been refined over more than half a century as a lot of smart, innovative, attentive people carefully thought through all the parts of the systems involved in safe diving, including human factors and equipment.

Nearly anything that has to do with your equipment, your configuration, and your practice has been noodled over and subjected to a lot of analysis and testing, real-world experience, and independent critique. If you change any one part, you probably affect other parts that you're not aware of.

From a safety management perspective, it strikes me as irresponsible for a resort owner or anyone else to unilaterally overthrow years of doctrine and practice and disrupt effective systems in order to minimize a single risk, a risk that would be present only in extremely remote contingencies (seriously, what's the chance of an OOA situation with a communicable COVID carrier using a long hose) and a risk that would manageable in those rare situations. This sort of tinkering has one predictable outcome: the introduction of chaos to a previously effective system.

Oh, and by the way, this rule does a poor job of reducing the one risk it aims at, because when you surface with your short octo, you'll be in each other's faces, trading a lot more particles than you did when you handed off a salt-water rinsed regulator at depth.

I'm not a fan.

I hope this is not a Bonaire thing, I stay next door at Den Laman and use Dive Friends

@tursiops you're a Buddy guy, aren't you?
I am, I have 24 people scheduled for late August, I am probably going to cancel.
The combo of boat restrictions and eating restrictions is too much, it will not be a vacation for my folks.

How about this. Simply mandate that everybody carries their own completely-isolated, dive-appropriate, redundant, airsource - i.e. a suitably-sized pony.

Instead of getting panties in a twist, encourage self sufficiency. Everybody can suck on their own octos and self-donating emergency sources at will to check function. IMO, that insta-buddy that you are so worried about getting CV from their dontated reg, probably isn't going to be right there when you "happen" to run out of gas anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom