Resort/dive shop/dive site recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will keep that in mind. I just guess I figured it might be cheaper to go to a place that had diving included instead of paying per dive from a shop, but I'll definitely look around. This trip we are looking to try to go cheap for accommodations and focus on the diving.
Cozumel Scuba Dive Vacations, Occidental Grand Cozumel All Inclusive Dive Resort, Occidental Grand Cozumel Dive Packages is one example of relatively cheap AI + diving. Plenty of AI packages at various hotels for around $1,000/pp and you could probably find a better deal if you worked in airfare with a dive travel agency or a consolidator.

I recently saw Hacienda San Miguel at about $50 per night (per room) on cheaptickets.com using a 20% off code.

Use the kitchen for breakfast. Walk to the Aldora pier to be picked up. Enjoy beach time and possible lunch between dives.

Walk to a eatery in town in the evening if you wish or get something light from Chedraui.

Just one quick tip on Hotel pricing. It is not always best to book online. Yes, definitely search online, check out the Hotels, pick 3 or 4 or 5 that you like the best -- best location, the amenities you require or desire (pool, AC, onsite restaurant, etc.), and check the pricing online. BUT, for several (many?) of the small, locally owned hotels or B&Bs, you may well be able to do better on pricing by contacting them directly, either by phone (best) or by email. I stayed a few nights a couple of years ago at Casona de Real, a small hotel about three blocks back from the main plaza. The best online price I could find was on Hotels.com, $42 a night (plus hotel taxes, another 12% if I recall correctly). I made a couple of phone calls directly to the Hotel, and got the exact same room for $35 a night plus taxes. I don't have direct experience with other Hotels, but I have heard from others that this is common. If you are feeling really adventurous, show up without any reservations and haggle right at the front desk. Back when I could get really cheap last minute airfares from the vacation charters, who would sell unsold seats right at the airport, I sometimes found 3 or 4 night air only fares RT DFW to Cozumel for as little as $129. I would get on the plane and show up in Cozumel with no idea where I was staying, except for a list of 4 or 5 cheap hotels I had stayed at before. When you go to the front desk with cash in hand, and the hotel has empty rooms that will stay empty if you walk away, they WILL bargain with you.

I just can back from Snadals in the Bahamas. Sandals is all inclusive and SCUBA is included. To be clear it is primarily a resort that also happens to offer diving. The Hard Core SCUBA folks frown upon my recommending it but if (like me) you want a little of everything then it is a great place, (I've been to a few locations). If you want the premium dive sites and the most dives per day - then Sandals is not the place. To give you an idea of how good or bad the diving is, here is a link to my last SCUBA vid from that trip:

http://youtu.be/tCso3NMH3B8

Good luck choosing and let us all know where you go and how you like it.

Enjoy !

I just can back from Snadals in the Bahamas. Sandals is all inclusive and SCUBA is included. To be clear it is primarily a resort that also happens to offer diving. The Hard Core SCUBA folks frown upon my recommending it but if (like me) you want a little of everything then it is a great place, (I've been to a few locations). If you want the premium dive sites and the most dives per day - then Sandals is not the place. To give you an idea of how good or bad the diving is, here is a link to my last SCUBA vid from that trip:
That's nice, but you do realize that this is a Cozumel forum, the OP was looking for Cozumel recommendations, and there is no Sandals resort on Cozumel the last time I checked?

That's nice, but you do realize that this is a Cozumel forum, the OP was looking for Cozumel recommendations, and there is no Sandals resort on Cozumel the last time I checked?

Isnt Reef Club / Wyndam / Secrets / Sabor due for another name change?

I am in the early planning stages of a trip to Coz with my wife either late this summer or in the spring. What I have found is that airfare to Coz is expensive enough that I feel the best value is buying an airfare/hotel package on Travelocity or Expedia. For example I found 7 days AI at park royal for $1031 each. Add in a dive package with your favorite op and that price looks pretty good. If you want to go economy I noticed some of the "in town" hotels had seven day packages with airfare at just over $800. This was per person for two in a room. The flight alone was $685.

I am sure there are better deals out there for those who are skilled at finding them. But if I can get my room and all meals/drinks (maybe I won't eat/drink them but they are there) for a week for $350 each that is a pretty good deal. or you could grab a hotel in town for $125 per week per each, still a good deal.

I think we will likely stay at one of the bigger places since my wife's priorities will be : clean, pool, beach, sleep in some touristy stuff to do one day. I am only concerned about clean and diving, I do enjoy "touristing" with my wife and am thinking a trip to the mainland to head out to Tulum.

Just my thoughts,
Jerry

I'm on a budget but staying for 26 days in Cozumel. I take a month off each year to dive a location. I would love to do more but not retired yet :). I'm staying at Suites Colonial which I booked via Booking.com at very reasonable rate. Hotel is clean, comfortable and safe - ideal fro the solo female diver like myself. I am diving with Eco Divers for the first time tomorrow so will give an update, however, their prices are the best in town and they have a good reputation. I have heard issues with equipment but I'm diving with my own gear - so all is good. Been snorkeling but can't wait to get under :). Will offer feedback on my dives....

The flight alone was $685.

Nothing for Nothing, Jerry, but, assuming you are using Detroit, I looked at Matrix for August dates and you can fly into Cancun for as low as 430 PP on Spirit non stop. Heck Delta I saw a non stop for 540.

So

Spirit 860
Private Van to Playa 50
Ferry X2 28
Room at $40x7 280
Mayair CZM to CUN x2 100

659 Per person = 300 MORE of Margaritas.

3.5 on the plane each way, 50 in the van, 55 on the ferry for a total of less than 5.5 vs 7-8 hours flight and waiting going down.

On the way back, say 15 minutes on Mayair, maybe a couple hours in Cun depending on which Mayair you have to take and then 3.5 on the plane home = maybe 6 at the most vs 8-9 flying out of CZM

Note:
Coming down:
The van will stop for beer at the Oxxo and you can finish the 6 pack on the ferry.
If you have to wait on the next ferry, the view and food at Senor Frogs beat the #$%^ out of anything in the Houston or Dallas airports.

Going back:
Arrive at CZM 30 minutes before the Mayair flight is plenty of time. Email for the best ticket price.

Just some ideas for you. If you are a real skin flint you could change the private van to the bus which is easy for like 8 pp. Or even bus and ferry back. We use Cancun and I like the ferry down as it is fun and I like the Mayair back as it is QUICK.

For ALL the Newbies to Cozumel..... buy the MAP!! It is more than a map, it is a travel guide. This shows where everything on the island is located! It also gives prices for taxis, restaurants, suggestions, phone and locations for all dive ops, all hotels, EVERYTHING you need for a trip. It is cheap, too, at $10. Get one, you will love it.
MapChick's Cozumel Map and Travel Guide

Back
Top Bottom