Resort/dive shop/dive site recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DjDiverDan is correct that the southern AI resorts are isolated, but I disagree that the isolation is a negative. As others have noted, it really depends on what you're expecting from your vacation.

San Miguel is a small city with a population approaching 80,000. You will definitely not feel isolated there as it as all the trappings of a city. Yes, restaurants abound as do shops. But people abound as well, lots of them. In honking cars, on scooters, on foot. If your idea of a idyllic Caribbean vacation does not include noise and congestion, you may appreciate the isolation of the southern resorts. If your idea of an idyllic Caribbean vacation includes visions of beaches and local flora, you may appreciate the beauty of the southern resorts. On the other hand, if you are a foodie who wants diversity in meals and do not mind congestion and noise, then the "city" may be better for you.

The other "plus" of staying to the south is that the majority of dive sites are located that way, thus it can be a much shorter boat ride to the dive sites. If you tend towards seasickness or are just impatient to get into the water instead of sitting on a boat for a half-hour ride to the sites, the location of the southern resorts may be better for you.

The thing about Cozumel is that it's very diverse for a dive locale. If you go to Cayman Brac, you have a couple options. On the other hand, Cozumel offers many permutations of how you can plan your vacation. There's a lot of experience on this board. I've been to the island nine times and have dove with seven different dive ops, but my experience pales in comparison to some of the people here who have been going there for many years, sometimes multiple trips a year. And there are others here who own vacation homes on the island as well as ex-pats who call it their permanent home. Browse a bit, get an idea of your options, decide what exactly you're looking for, then as robint suggests, let the forum know what you want and you will receive all the tailored advice you could need.

But people abound as well, lots of them. In honking cars, on scooters, on foot....and do not mind congestion and noise, then the "city" may be better for you.

We 'stay' on the northern edge of El Centro and it is very quiet and peaceful. We have lovely flora on the grounds and a quiet pool. We can walk to all kinds of downtown stuff easily.

Honking horns? I would say Mexicans are generally far more easy going. I can't remember the last time I heard a horn. Zeta gas occasionally, but horns? I remember once hearing a horn at the Museum, but it involved squealing tires and a near crash, so it was justified.

Congestion? We do drive in lines of cars sometimes and heck there might be 10 cars waiting at a light, but congestion? The only time I experience that is Carnival when the occasional sudden street parade blocks a street and think back up as people work their way around. I have never had to slow down the slightest in the morning going south on 15, just 2 streets back from the main drag.

And walking around at night, you pass the occasion few people on the side walk, but it isn't crowded with people.

I thought you Kali people knew what congestion and honking horns were all about?

I thought you Kali people knew what congestion and honking horns were all about?
I had enough of that growing up, live in the quite burbs now where even the occasional siren or car alarm grits my teeth. But some people like tropical vacations in the city. Personally, I love Honolulu whereas others can't stand that as part of a "Hawaiian experience" for example. I'm OK either way, have done both city and "country" stays on Coz. But anyone who dreams of beaches and palm trees might be disappointed by the concrete jungle.

might be disappointed by the concrete jungle.

So, this:

[youtubehq]upaqXW3qS-g[/youtubehq]

equals

This:

9553380695_906f24e291_z.jpg

And this:

san_miguel_plaza_del_sol_clock_tower.jpg

And this:

love-cafe-cozumel.jpg

but not this:

Iberostarcoz7L.jpg

or this:

filename-dsc-0224.jpg

just making sure I get this right....

What is your dive experience level? and what type of diving do you like? Are you mostly a tourist diver (no insult implied), and just want to see the best of Cozumel, or are you more the 'techies' that like advanced diving more? & all those questions 'robint' asked.

There are over 30 named dive sites around the island, ranging from deep walls with swim-thrus to shallow "aquarium" dives, very advanced dives to easy novice level dives. Our typical MO is to do a deep dive, first and a shallower dive second on a 2 tank morning dive.

Any good dive op worth their salt will evaluate you for a day or two before taking you to the 'advanced' dive sites. So jumping on the boat and telling the DM where you want to go isn't necessarily what is possible until you are cleared by the staff.

My suggestion is to tell the DM what you would like to see, ie. lots of fish, sharks, Splendid Toadfish, turtles, reef formations, swim-thrus, walls...whatever, and let THEM recommend where to go since it is all new to you anyway and they dive these reefs every day.

Having said that, my personal favorite dive sites, although all of them are great to me, are; Deep dives: Columbia Deep, all 4 Palancars (Caves, Gardens, Bricks & Horseshoe) & for an advanced dive Chun Chacab is spectacular, but can be a beat down getting that far south.

Second dives: The amazing Columbia Shallows is a must, Yucab, Punta Tunich, Villablanca Wall, San Clemente, San Francisco and Cedral Pass. Cedral may be my favorite dive site of all of them, you can do it as a wall or a second dive or a combo of both.

I personally recommend NOT staying at AI's because there are so many good places to eat on the island, but we've been going there for 17 years, so we have places we NEED to eat at. :D

Most of the large AI resorts are either far south of town or in the northern hotel zone, where most dive ops won't pick up because it's too far to go up there and motor south to the Marine Park and back, although I do believe most of the have an on-site dive op.

Occidental Grand is the only AI we've stayed at. It's pretty far south out of town, about a $20 cab ride one-way. Very nice property, large rooms, good food when we stayed there (several years ago). On-site dive op, but not sure who it is currently.

Scuba Club is AI, they have their own dive op and a very loyal following. Very close to town, maybe a 1/8 of a mile south of town.

Cozumel Palace is AI, but again, not sure who is the attached dive op. it is pretty much on the south edge of town.

I think Hotel Cozumel has AI packages, very close to town as well.

Then there is the El Presidente, fancy schmancy, the only 5 star resort on the island, (maybe the Palace is), large property, very nice large rooms, located right next to the harbor that most dive ops keep their boats at, so pick ups are easy.

By the way, you DO NOT have to use the on-site dive op, or even stay where there is one, unless you just want that. Almost all dive ops pick up at almost all hotel/resorts south of town. There are some acceptations, but that is the general rule.

Non-AI's:

Blue Angel Resort is our home away from home. A small property with 22 rooms all facing the ocean, it is also one of the few small 'resorts' that actually sits on the waterfront, a lot of hotels are actually across the street from the waterfront. Good sized rooms, very clean, good staff, on-site dive op, on-site restaurant, breakfast included on dive days. It's just a mile out of town, an easy walk to town if you choose. Morning, afternoon, twilight & night dives available.

Aldora: A very nice property just north of town, with 9 villas to suite anyone's needs. an excellently run property and dive operation. no restaurant on site, but all rooms have at least a microwave, mini-fridge and coffee maker, which they provide coffee for, by the way, and the six larger rooms have at least a mini-kitchen, some with full kitchens. Most folks fix breakfast in their rooms, the hotel manager or his wife will even drive you to the grocery store (Mega) to stock up your room after you check in! The dive op stops at one of our beach clubs for the surface interval and has lunch between dives. They also offer some special dive sites that are currently exclusive to Aldora divers.

Sharky's top dive op reco's.

if you've go about a 1/2 hour to kill, a lot of info here: Tips on finding a dive op on Coz

Your first trip anywhere is completely over whelming on who to dive with and where to stay. Coz has something like over 70 dive operations and hotel properties from B&B's & hostas to large, corporate resorts. Basic no-frills places to full AI's and everything in between.

---------- Post added June 7th, 2014 at 01:21 PM ----------

We 'stay' on the northern edge of El Centro and it is very quiet and peaceful. We have lovely flora on the grounds and a quiet pool. We can walk to all kinds of downtown stuff easily.

Honking horns? I would say Mexicans are generally far more easy going. I can't remember the last time I heard a horn. Zeta gas occasionally, but horns? I remember once hearing a horn at the Museum, but it involved squealing tires and a near crash, so it was justified.

Congestion? We do drive in lines of cars sometimes and heck there might be 10 cars waiting at a light, but congestion? The only time I experience that is Carnival when the occasional sudden street parade blocks a street and think back up as people work their way around. I have never had to slow down the slightest in the morning going south on 15, just 2 streets back from the main drag.

I miss driving in Mexico...Dallas traffic is a, well, it starts with a 'B' :D

Scuba Club Cozumel. Good food, great dive operation! I recommend it.

The dive shop choice is not that hard...three.

I would suggest a private divemaster your first day to teach you the techniques of drift diving...if you are unfamiliar with that type diving.

As far your husbands air consumption, after the first 5-10 minutes of a dive, I am often 20-30 feet above the group to mitigate my expected higher air consumption. At times I have ended up with well over a 1000 psi of air so I misjudged that element of the dive.

Those southern resorts keep the riff-raff, like you, out though. You don't get benefits like that in town.

Well true they try but when I lay on the charm, even they are putty in my hands...

I will keep that in mind. I just guess I figured it might be cheaper to go to a place that had diving included instead of paying per dive from a shop, but I'll definitely look around. This trip we are looking to try to go cheap for accommodations and focus on the diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom