Research Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My XS Scuba mas has a purge and overall I do like it as it makes it easier to purge. However it does has have drawbacks. You can to take care that the little valve is in place and you have to protect it or it can leak. You don't want to squash the nosepiece over the purge.

The most important thing about mask is fit and seal, secondarily low volume/profile.

Adam

One thing to consider is that a transparent mask allows light from behind into the mask, which reflects off the lens. I don't like that effect, as it can be very distracting in dark or not-so-clear water.

But take everyone's advise here--fit is the most important point. The mask should stay on you face when you inhale through your nose without the strap being on your head. If it does that, it will be air-tight and you will enjoy it. If it doesn't, no beauty of design will matter.

SeaRat

What everyone has already said. Don't buy your mask based on just the looks alone. Learn from my mistake, try the mask on first before buying it. As for the strap, I use the one that came with my mask but my dive buddy replaced hers with something like what is in the picture and she loves it.

As for the purge on the mask, it is not important. I actually don't think I know of any other diver that has a purge on their mask. Not sure if you are certified yet but you should be taught how to clear water out of your mask without a purge.

Happy Diving!!!

Yea im not certified and I don't really know how to clear water out of my mask.Im just starting driving. :)

Ok thanks, and is it important to have a mask with purge?

A purge on a low volume mask with nose pocket (the vast majority on the market) can be uncomfortable depending on how close your nose is to the bottom and how tight you have to pinch your nose to equalize. Some designs also interfere with the regulator second stage in smaller faces.

Are you taking a Scuba course or freediving? Ask your local dive shop if you can try several masks in a pool before you decide. Failing that, it would be worth the extra money to rent several masks before you invest. As most others have mentioned, fit is very important and there are a lot of personal preference factors. I am a black mask guy, but try both to see what you like. There are a lot of clear masks sold so a lot of people must like them. I have bought several masks over the years that had slow water leaks, even though they held a tight vacuum standing in the shop.

You can enjoy a dive with any fin that does not hurt your feet. Nothing will ruin your time in the water more than a leaking or uncomfortable mask — especially when you have so many other new things demanding your attention.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom