Rescue diving course-what did you wish you knew going in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't want to hijack the thread, so could you simply elaborate regarding the physical demands? My wife and I are interested in taking Rescue Diver. But if I understand this right, it's physically demanding. My wife is not very strong at all and is about at capacity just carrying her weight belt and an AL80. She's unlikely to be able to carry me, much less a larger or fatter person.

Last thing we want to do is sign up, only to find she can't handle it physically.

That is the beauty of a rescue class.

People learn what their limitations are, how to deal with and work with those limitations, and how to work with others to affect a rescue.

She's unlikely to be able to carry me, much less a larger or fatter person.

Last thing we want to do is sign up, only to find she can't handle it physically.

You're thinking about that backwards.

The last thing you want to do is wait until she actually needs to render assistance to you on a real dive in order for her to try to figure out how to do so.

wouldn't you want your dive buddy to have as much knowledge and at least some practice in how to appropriately respond?

Yep, don't be thinking its all about "muscle"...

I'll take a smart diver over a gorilla.... I'd take someone that know their limitations, and can think their way around something over a knee jerk response....

An accident that never happened is the best kind. The brains and awareness to keep out of a situation that can lead to an accident is the best approach. Knowing what you can do, and what you can't...

You can learn a lot about yourself, your gear, and your environment.....

I'm 6'-7" and 235#, and there was a classmate who was 5'-3" and 105#. We both "passed", and I'd dive with them any day.... others..... not so much.... mindset, mindset, knowledge, knowledge....

there is no Cliff Notes version or "cheat sheet"....

I don't want to hijack the thread, so could you simply elaborate regarding the physical demands? My wife and I are interested in taking Rescue Diver. But if I understand this right, it's physically demanding. My wife is not very strong at all and is about at capacity just carrying her weight belt and an AL80. She's unlikely to be able to carry me, much less a larger or fatter person.

Rescue skills make everyone better safer divers. It makes them more situationally aware, putting them into a prevention mode, & self preservation mindset. No 2 emergencies will ever be the same. While the training is physical, it's about skills & thinking outside the box to handle emergencies to the best of your personal ability. I've had students of varying physical abilities
A good instructor will help her with various approaches to the different scenarios that are within her abilities. .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That is the beauty of a rescue class.

People learn what their limitations are, how to deal with and work with those limitations, and how to work with others to affect a rescue.

You're thinking about that backwards.

The last thing you want to do is wait until she actually needs to render assistance to you on a real dive in order for her to try to figure out how to do so.

Great points.

What might have been useful to me to have understood going into my Rescue class was what one eventually comes to understand after taking more advanced training: in any advanced dive training, you are there to learn; you are not there to get another card. Although there is a course called "Advanced Open Water," I would consider Rescue to be the first truly advanced course in the normal sequence. Oh, I suspect you'll pass the course if you work at it--most people do--but don't go into the course thinking about passing or not passing.

I probably should have had more than 26 dives in. I did some things very well, others needed work due to my inexperience. OTOH, I think it is good to take it as soon as reasonable--you still get all the knowledge and can continue to polish things up after. Seems courses vary widely. Mine was not really very hard physically (I was 56 and did no extra training other than my usual bit of moderate exercising). I did find it mentally challenging.

On the physical exercises the objective is to learn the best way for YOU to handle a situation. You will not all end up equal, that's reality. From "giving it all" you should find yourself very tired and perhaps sore. I have to say that my in water portion was very limited and amounted to a non event. To your question, be sure to understand what your instructor actually conducts for a drill session.

The class work was very valuable and put a lot of things not perspective. The prime objective is to prevent incidents and negate the need to execute a rescue. "Why didn't they tell us this stuff in OW" is a common response.

With regard to your gear consider removing any ancillary items. Others will be towing, tugging and handling you at times and you don't want them breaking the bungee cord on the fuzzy dice clipped to your D ring.

Errr...I'm about to do the pool training and the course mate is a 6'2" / 200lbs (my guess) dude, and I'm only 5'7" with small build :errrr:

Should I be concerned??

Errr...I'm about to do the pool training and the course mate is a 6'2" / 200lbs (my guess) dude, and I'm only 5'7" with small build :errrr:

Should I be concerned??

I would think not. You do the best you can if you are smaller than the victim. That is how it would be in a real rescue. I would assume your instructor will take that approach.

Errr...I'm about to do the pool training and the course mate is a 6'2" / 200lbs (my guess) dude, and I'm only 5'7" with small build :errrr:Should I be concerned??
Not at all, remember you can't choose your victim when something happens.I am also 5'7" and the majority of scenarios I was dealing with a DM who was >6' and built like a brick outhouse. You learn to use what is around you, other divers people onshore etc., great course mentally and physically.

Back
Top Bottom