Rescue diver how hard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did the rescue diver course last May & I'm about 5'2", like many of you I was also the only female in the group. I broke my left wrist badly a year before & have next to no strength in that arm, I struggled with some parts of the course but on the whole it all went well. It's defintely one of those courses that everyone should consider doing at somepoint in their dive careers as it teaches you want to do when things go wrong which in turn will improve your diving.
Enjoy!

Hi,

I am preparing my second nevel (French Diploma) is based (more or less) on the same techniques, the deepth is 40 m (120 feet).
First of all, I had the same "fear", but now I know itis just a question of technique, self confidence.
I highly recomend this stage, you learn a lot !!

You will be a great rescue diver.

Update: I finished my rescue class. Very informative, and tiring! The rescue scenerios on the boat whooped my butt! Of course it was a bit choppy out, and people were getting seasick (myself included), and the boat was the worst I have ever been on...but hey, you can't expect a rescue to be in calm tropical waters.

Dips in:
I'm a late 30 something women, thinking about doing my rescue diver. Is this something that is going to be way too physical for me? I had lots of people tell me no proplem but they tend to be large men and as its one of their fat butts I'll be pulling in it would be nice to hear from a lady who already done this.

I am late 30's, over weight with a slight physical handicap. I took the rescue diver course and it was the most challenging and rewarding course I have taken. If you are not so strong there are alternative methods to carrying a patient to shore and such. I think its very worth it. I will take it again in a couple years to refresh.

I have been a bit intimidated by the idea of taking the rescue course -- especially when I saw, on a one-day boat dive trip in California's Channel Islands, that all the DMs and instructors were, well, huge football player guy types, I thought to myself, who would I be trying to kid, with 5'5", 125 lbs. and average fitness, getting a rescue diver certification. so these posts have been informative and encouraging !
sail 'n dive

Go for it! It is one of the best training courses I believe. There is a lot more to the course than just physical challenges.

Good Luck,

Paul

Sail 'n Dive:
I have been a bit intimidated by the idea of taking the rescue course -- especially when I saw, on a one-day boat dive trip in California's Channel Islands, that all the DMs and instructors were, well, huge football player guy types, I thought to myself, who would I be trying to kid, with 5'5", 125 lbs. and average fitness, getting a rescue diver certification. so these posts have been informative and encouraging !
sail 'n dive

S 'n D,

The Rescue Diver course is more about thinking than about physical work. If you are comfortable in the water, and you can swim fairly well, you CAN do it! It will make you a better diver, and increase your own comfort level in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom