Rescue diver how hard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Me too. I'm very petite and weigh about 95 lbs. My "victim" was about 300 lbs. (Talk about harassment training! :11: They said they wanted to make sure I could do it, not have 2 petite girls help each other out...) Believe it or not, I did everything, even got him up onto the shore myself. Of course a 7mm 2-piece wetsuit is pretty buoyant... :wink: I have rare mild asthma attacks, so as suggested by my doctor, I took my puffer each day as a prevention, particularly in cold water. If I can do it, anyone can!!

They teach you to use leverage rather than strength, and pulls and techniques that are easier for women. I found the rescue course to be the most valuable one I have taken so far, not only for learning to rescue other people, but also learning self-rescue and confidence in my abilities.

Ayisha:
Me too. I'm very petite and weigh about 95 lbs. My "victim" was about 300 lbs. (Talk about harassment training! :11: They said they wanted to make sure I could do it, not have 2 petite girls help each other out...) Believe it or not, I did everything, even got him up onto the shore myself. Of course a 7mm 2-piece wetsuit is pretty buoyant... :wink: I have rare mild asthma attacks, so as suggested by my doctor, I took my puffer each day as a prevention, particularly in cold water. If I can do it, anyone can!!

They teach you to use leverage rather than strength, and pulls and techniques that are easier for women. I found the rescue course to be the most valuable one I have taken so far, not only for learning to rescue other people, but also learning self-rescue and confidence in my abilities.

See!!! Did ya ever notice that they never put short men to pull up the 300 lbs men? Hmphhhhhh... LOL

do you want to be able to help, or run because you think it may be too demanding.

Take the course!

I'm 39 and I took the Rescue Diver course with my husband who is almost a foot taller than I am and 50 lbs heavier. We had to haul each other out. I am an average sized woman and had no problem. It was a great sense of accomplishment. Don't be fooled, this is a physically challenging course - - That's the point. It really depends most on what kind of a person you are outside of the water too. If you are a whiner and complainer you will behave similarly in the water. No need to be an Amazon, but helplessness will be an obstacle. For a vote of condfidence, if you think you are up to taking the class, you will find a way to rise to the challenge. Good luck.

I just completed the first two days of Rescue this weekend - I am 42, 5'4" and think that this course is the best one I have taken. The pool work was challenging, but it is important to remember (as was mentioned above) that the goal of this class is to teach you rescue skills, not to test your physical strength. Other than getting someone out of the water and doing in-water rescue breathing while towing none of it was very strength based. It did seem that I always got the biggest guy to "rescue" - but in the water, that's not such a big deal. Take the class - you will definitely learn things that can help you become a better diver and a better buddy as well as becoming someone handy to have around when things go wrong.

Jackie

YES!!! YES!!! DO IT!!! DO IT!!!

I'm a 40 something plus size woman.... I've been a certified Divemaster for over a year. The Rescue Diver Course was a great boost to my self confidence and to my diving skills.

Go for it!!!

Liz

Dips in:
I'm a late 30 something women, thinking about doing my rescue diver. Is this something that is going to be way too physical for me? I had lots of people tell me no proplem but they tend to be large men and as its one of their fat butts I'll be pulling in it would be nice to hear from a lady who already done this.

Looks like every answer is an affirmative 'take the course!', and I have to agree. I was the only woman in my Rescue course, and although I'm fit and 5'10", the blokes were more substantial than I was! However, a number of 'tools' were given to assess and apply in the scenarios, so even though we had to tackle the more physical options, there was a range of possible means of addressing a situation we were given. It was also good to have to reach that bit further and try something more challenging - what looked like the most difficult carrying techniques weren't as impossible as I thought them at first.

I am 5'2", over 40, and overweight. I am taking the rescue class now. Why? Because I have heard that it is the best class to take to improve myself as a diver.

I played victim to a rescue diver in training as part of my DM internship. I'm 5' 9" and a few over 200. She had no trouble carrying me on her back completely out of the water, and she was maybe 5' 5" and at most 130.

Do it! you'll never regret doing it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom