Rescue diver how hard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm an instructor from South Jersey and have taught this course several times. Most instructors are not out to kill you, but want to teach you to be a better diver and a help to any that find themselves in a dangerous position. Your size should not make any difference. A regular excercise program will also help.

You have plenty of experience in the water and quite frankly should have taken the course along time ago. I'm sure you will do just fine.

Good Luck and have fun.

I am a somewhat large Divemaster and I was a "victim" for a Rescue diver class. The class was just one lady about your age. She had no problem with me. Just remember that if you are ever in the situation where you have to rescue someone, there is a good chance that there will be someone or some people around who will be able too assist you. So, you should not be concerned about the class being physical at all. As has already been said, do the class and learn alot of new skills that will only help you enjoy your diving even more (if that is possible)

Graham Wardell, PADI & SDI Divemaster

Also an instructor (inactive at the moment) & agree with the dive junky. Also a good portion of the course is about when to act & not to. Also it will teach you leverage to work with people bigger than you. I am not a big male and leverage has been the key on some tough situations. Good luck and have fun with the course.

Bobby

I was almost 50 when I took the Rescue Course. It was the hardest (up til then) and the best class I ever took. Getting the "big guy" on the boat was a challenge but remember that is a small part of the class. In reality there will be others already on board to help you. The other stuff you learn is what will really make a difference in an emergency.

Any continued diving courses are wll worth the effort. It will make you a better buddy and more confident in yourself. I am a small frame which did make it more challenging but the instructors assist in teaching teachnics that enable smaller people to do amazing things. Physically challenging yes, but the end result is rewarding and on your way to the next level of diving.

Had men and woman of various sizes and ages in my class. All passed with flying colors. Many folks had to rescue people bigger than themselves -- that's what they teach you how to do. Best class a diver can take.

I'm 55, fit but not buff, and signed up to do the Rescue course in April. I figure I'm planning to live for 40 more years - might as well make the most of it. Hence my moniker.
So, child-of-30, if I can do it you can, too.
Good luck & enjoy!
ADY

The course is not a fitness test nor is it an examination of brute strength.

Instead, it is designed to teach you the basics of dealing with dive-related emergencies.

One of the intros to the course states that techniques and methods of rescue will differ according to various factors - including what resources are available, what the scenario is, the victim AND size and strength of rescuer.

You will also be taught the important principle behind rescue/first aid which is: never put yourself at risk. Trying to single-handedly drag a victim much bigger than you onto a boat strap-carry style is placing yourself at risk.

When I've taught the course, I always stress the importance of assessing the situation and using what's available - and to not dwell so much on what you cannot do.

Dips in:
I'm a late 30 something women, thinking about doing my rescue diver. Is this something that is going to be way too physical for me? I had lots of people tell me no proplem but they tend to be large men and as its one of their fat butts I'll be pulling in it would be nice to hear from a lady who already done this.

Ok I guess I am repeating a few comments that have already been placed here, but to add my bit too…

I did my rescue diver course exactly a year ago (I was 37 at the time), am just over 5ft tall and weigh less than 100lbs. I was worried about exactly the same issues as you, thinking there was no way I could deal with the stress of such a course and neither would I have the strength to bring a diver out of the water.

I would say that I was fairly fit at the time, having spent the previous 6 weeks lugging dive kit up and down from the boat, however as mentioned by some of the others. It is technique that is vital in a rescue situation. I managed to drag a medium height guy out of the water and onto the beach in fairly lively surf on my own, and found it really quite OK. Just think how great you will feel when you have brought out one of your big diver guy friends… It's not all about brute force, it's about using what's available to make things easier… and that includes other people in the area if anyone is to hand.

I also learned soooo much about self rescue, and how to recognise and deal with small issues before they even become a problem. As has been mentioned before, this course will only make you a better, more confident diver.

And remember, the instructor is there to help and guide you through this and will be only too ready to help you work out how to get around any difficulties.

I also found it surprisingly great fun! And really rewarding. Yes it is challenging, but well worth it.Good luck. You will be so glad you did it.

Dips in:
I'm a late 30 something women, thinking about doing my rescue diver. Is this something that is going to be way too physical for me? I had lots of people tell me no proplem but they tend to be large men and as its one of their fat butts I'll be pulling in it would be nice to hear from a lady who already done this.

I just started working on my AOW... I just wanted to offer you some words of encouragement...

Being able to rescue someone or provide assistance is more technique, skill and brains than brute strength. If you are petite (like me) you can still provide assistance and save a life if the need be. Just focus on practicing your skills and keep up to date on the techniques and lessons learned. My exhusband (who though he is a schmuck; did have some great sayings) would always say "Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance"... Meaning that if you practice and keep up to snuff, you will do just fine. In any emergent hi-risk situation, your muscle memory usually takes over and you do what you have to do, sometimes without even realizing it. That is why it is sooo very important to practice, and practice everything correctly over and over again. If you practice sloppy your work result will be sloppy. If you practice perfect, your work result will most probably end up perfect.

Just for your own wellbeing, you should try to stay in shape as much as possible. You will NEVER do a victim any good if you put yourself in harms way or overextend your physical capabilities to intent a rescue. If you do, then there are TWO victims to worry about. Not saying that forget a victim or anything like that, but know your surroundings and be aware of what is going on...

BTW, I'm a 5'1" 120lbs diva who believes firmly that if I believe in myself, and I want to achieve a goal, then there is nothing stopping me but myself. And if you doubt that you can do ANYTHING you want, I am a former federal agent (was the only female in my section in the academy) and I did EVERYTHING that the men did (and sometimes better) by believing in myself and working hard and finding skills and techniques that worked for me to achieve my goals and objectives. And now, at 30-something-ish, I'm working on my dream to be a scuba dive instructor (to add to my zillion of other instructor certifications).

Oh yeah, and I've "fireman carried" a man weighing 190 lbs over 30 ft, and dragged a man weighing over 210lbs over 30 feet (part of training). So, if I can do it... so can you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom