Rescue diver how hard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dips in

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a late 30 something women, thinking about doing my rescue diver. Is this something that is going to be way too physical for me? I had lots of people tell me no proplem but they tend to be large men and as its one of their fat butts I'll be pulling in it would be nice to hear from a lady who already done this.

I'm not a lady but I will offer this. It doesn't matter how big you are. You will learn skills that will prepare you to do the best you can, regardless of your size, to aid a diver in trouble. It's not like you have to pass any strength test or anything. You'll learn a lot. It's a very good course.

Well, I'm a 39-year old woman and I'm doing rescue very soon & DM later this summer. If I can do it, so can anyone else. As Hank49 says, you learn to do the best you can. It's a good course and designed to be fun as well as very useful. If it makes you feel any better, we have an over-60 woman who has done the course. So don't worry!

I was 40-something when I took it and am no Amazon. I think it was the best course I've taken.

It all depends on how big the dewd who is playing the victim is...........

I haven't taken the rescue diver course yet, but I have worked as a River Guide and I have had to haul some very large "fat butts" back into the raft. You learn techniques for using your whole body instead of just relying on your arms and you would be amazed at how much you can do. I am definitely no major player on the muscle girl circuit and I am in my 30's, but I think if they teach rescue diver like they teach swift water recovery, you should be just fine.

I did it last year and as you I'm a women at more or less the same age as yours. I'm generally very fit but honestly at the beginning it was very hard. You need not only strengh but also have to learn the ways how to do it. Once these are mastered it's easier but not easy. As for me it was the hardest course I did but 100% worht it.
BTW the guy I had to rescue finally was 6.5 ft high and more than 260 lb of weight. So..he wasn't small :D
Do the course - I think it's one of the best ones. I've learnt a lot.
Mania

I did it this summer and I'm 5'2 and 125lbs, and I pulled up some fairly big people. Just make sure you use your legs to lift and not your back and abs only. They'll teach you how to do it safely.

When I did mine there was a lady in her early 40's, and one in her mid 20's, both very small framed, and they had no problem dragging both me and the instructor around, and both of us were over 200 lbs, him way more than me :eyebrow: . You shouldnt have any problems

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom