Rescue diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes it is much different from AOW and the specialties. Most agree it is very worthwhile and some feel every diver should take it. Others point out that some of this training should be in OW course. From what I have heard and what I've read here on SB, the course tends to vary according to the instructor. Mine was quite good.

It's probably the most highly regarded course in the bunch and many consider it the important stuff left out of Open Water Diver. Self rescue and better yet incident and accident avoidance are central. The intensity can be high but I suggest checking references since I have seen the in-water portion vary wildly from doing a few skills to a day long simulation blitz. I don't think any diver can consider themselves basically trained until they do this course. Note that NAUI and perhaps another agency have this course available without the AOW prerequisite.

You are correct that it will do little or nothing for your diving technique. It's all about safety.

Pete

I second to every one that says it's a worthwhile course. You will also need to improve your swimming and apnea abilities (endurance), so be prepared before hand. If the course is good, you will be out of breath after every pool session.

The rescue course won't be as fun as the others. You WILL work. You will probably be sore and very tired at the end, but it is well worth it. It can be a little fun, depending on the instructor and how much effort you put into it. You will learn a lot from the course. It was one of the most rewarding classes I took.

Echoing what has been said many times by others, I feel that what Rescue teaches should have been taught as part of Open Water. After Open Water, I was not ready to march into the water with an equally green buddy and dive on my/our own--no way. AOW gave me a little more confidence in the water, but I did not really feel comfortable until after taking Rescue. The knowledge I gained from Rescue may or may not come to me if I am ever in a position to help someone in need, but having taken the Rescue course I feel more secure on every dive knowing how I might help myself or how others might help me if I have a need.

I think Rescue was the best class I took in the "mainstream" curriculum.

It will not improve or polish your own personal diving skills, although in my class we at least practiced some emergency procedures, which I think people often haven't done since they got certified. But it will make you more aware of conditions or situations that may lead to an accident or incident, and it will give you some strategies for coping with such things when they occur. I HAVE dealt with a truly panicked diver, who was NOT part of my team, at a local dive site, and I was glad of the training.

If you want a class to work on your own personal skills, I would recommend, as others have, classes which are specifically aimed at that. Any Intro to Tech type class will work on this; GUE Fundamentals was really the first such class to be widely offered to recreational divers, and I think still is the best. If you have access to an area with overhead environments, a cavern class will focus on skills as well. Or if you have access to an instructor who has technical (or even better, cave) training, ask him to go out and do a series of "diving lessons" with you, like a PPB class on steroids.

I think that any technical (GUE fundamentals or cave) should be taken AFTER the Stress&Rescue certification. Being aware of your own stress cycle and the stress cycle of your fellow divers is an important part of the training of every diver that continues to dive.
Many many divers take the OWD course, do the check-out dives, dive the next season and give up. If you fall in the universe of divers that go on diving, the S&R course is very important for your safety, and the safety of your fellow divers, not only because you will be there to help to a panicked or tired or stressed diver, but because you are trained not to stress yourself and apply self rescue techniques, meaning that you are not a potential problem for your buddy.
I think that this is the base line from where to start building a technical training.
Besides, S&R certification requires EFR certification. EFR is a training not only valid for divers, but also for you as a citizen and part of a family.
The techniques learned in an EFR course will allow you to help any one in distress no matter where or when. It could be a member of your family in the thanksgiving dinner that is in trouble and you will be there to help.

Take Rescue. It's a fun class, and very well done. Every diver should have the skills demonstrated in this class. Take it with a friend/buddy if possible. I took it with a friend from OW, and we had fun and learned a lot. I think divers get the most out of the class once they have 50+ dives. You should dive well enough to task load without a lot of thought.

Brian,

I am a PADI Divemaster which means I have been through the PADI Rescue course. I would recommend that all divers train through to at tleast the rescue course. That course will teach both how to recognize emergencies, what to do about them, how/who to contact as well as diver rescue techniques. It also instucts how to recognize stressful situations, break the stress cycle that can lead to panic situations, and if it occurs, how to handle a panic situation/diver. This is only touching on the highlights but I highly recommend the training.

As for the advanced clas not making you a better diver, you are right. The class will only provided the knowledge and training. Becoming a better diver has to do with practcing the skills and experience which only comes with continued regular diving. For example, navigation. The only way to become really good at it is through practice. Most people don't and couldn't find there ass with a compass w/o clear water and a flashing sign. So practice, practice practice and have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom