Rescue Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rear the book and answer all the questions.

Remember, you can not save everyone. Do your best and do no be afraid of saying I can not safely continue. The point is Do Not become a victim yourself.

You will learn many things and be challenged by the class.

Go with a positive attitude and enjoy yourself.

When it comes to the dive day, stay focused and very hydrated. Make sure you get plenty of sleep the night before. Pay close attention to the other divers equipment, especially the BCD clips and releases. Try as much as possible to stay relaxed, think and act on what you have learned.

When your instructor reminds you over and over to not get to close to a panicked diver... he means it.

your "victim" will try to climb over you and stand on top of you.:D

and please LEARN!

You will find it different to your other classes - you'll be working harder, your instructor may be pushing you more and might not appear as nice and fluffy as they were before...!

Outside of the actual performance requirements for the course I hope my students will also learn a great deal about their own diving skills and how to improve them; perhaps they realise they're not quite as fit as they thought they were! Maybe they learn a little about themselves - how they work in a team environment, can they learn the confidence to direct a rescue attempt without assistance?

I always say to my Rescue students that if they still like me at the end of the second day, then I have not been doing my job properly. On the other hand, some of the end-of-rescue-course celebrations I've been to have been seriously great parties!

Have fun on the course!

C.

Thanks everyone. I've already read the entire book and answered the study guide questions. I remember the tip about not getting too close to a panacked diver. I kind of figured they might do a little surprise roll playing.

Kind of like my EFR class when they interrupted it to act out a scene where I had to deal with a guy that fell off a ladder.

Been playing dive master/babysitter for my newbie friends for a lot of years. I figured it was well past time that I further my education.

Good luck and have FUN! I'm hopefully finishing up my rescue course this weekend. It's been great fun but lots of hard work. My advice: read the book or watch the movie again. You'll get more out of it the second time around once you're not worrying about answering the knowledge reviews and the final exam will be a piece of cake.

One thing I found that I wish I'd been told before hand was when your instructor says to pace yourself they aren't kidding! The first time I had to go the length of the pool to a victim I was pooped by the time I got there and it was difficult to gain control of the situation. Goes hand-in-hand with your own safety first, then the victim. As said earlier, one victim is enough...don't become a second! LOL! :shakehead: Also, when it comes to how to bring an unresponsive diver up from underwater I personally found that the easiest way to gain control was to wrap your left arm around their right arm. That way you have control over your BCD with your left hand and can hold their reg in their mouth with your right hand and/or dump their weights with the right-hand release (if they have a belt) if needed.

Hopefully I'll remember my OWN advice this weekend!:cool2:

When your instructor reminds you over and over to not get to close to a panicked diver... he means it.

your "victim" will try to climb over you and stand on top of you
He he, not in my class. I WILL climb on top of you. As Crowley mentioned you may not like me for it but you'll learn to not do it again.

Resuce breathing; Don't get in such a hurry to get the divers gear off that you rush to get the ventilations. I always tell my students that on the three count stop unbuckling at get ready to provide ventilations on five.

I don't know about your Instructor but I let my students know that at open water it begins when they hit the parking lot. Be prepared.

If done right it will be tough, rewarding and FUN all at the same time. Enjoy.

All good points above. Remember speed does not equal efficiency. A good pace is better than rushing and forgetting rescue breaths, etc.

Also beware the little tiny DM victim. They can be very quick at dislodging masks and regs.

I did get even with my torturous DM. A great carbo load dinner the night before is a good idea. Pasta with extra garlic does the trick! Makes rescue breaths a delight for them!

(PS- I wouldn't do this unless you have a great relationship with your DM/Instructor)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom