Rescue Diver Class..........worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melfox26

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was just wondering, for those of you that are Rescue Diver certified, if it's worth it or not. I was thinking the cash would be better spent on another specialty or towards a drysuit.

Mel

melfox26 once bubbled...
I was just wondering, for those of you that are Rescue Diver certified, if it's worth it or not. I was thinking the cash would be better spent on another specialty or towards a drysuit.

Mel

That depends on what agency you do your class with.
A drysuit sounds like a good investment as well

melfox26 once bubbled...

Mel

I found (and still find) the Rescue course to be worth while. I learned a lot when I took it for the certification, and I revisit my skills every time I DM the course.

A fair bit of work, and a whole lot of fun!

Hi,

Just my 2c...

Rescue diver is not only good for teaching the basics of rescuing another diver in trouble. It also should give you stuff to think about for self-rescue and how to prevent a "rescue requred" situation from happening to begin with.
Like any other course, it can depend quite a bit on how good the instructor is though.
I did mine with a local fire/rescue company dive team leader and I think I got alot out of it.

By all means do it. As an instructor I just finished off a group of 4 students about a month ago.

These guys learned ALOT , as well as myself and the other instructor I teach with.

Allways fun to teach and allways interesting to see how different students handle the situation.

You will be exhausted at the end , but your self awareness and awareness for others will make you a far better diver than when you first entered the rescue course.

Drysuit diving is the norn up here.Not many people take the course unless they want an easy cert toward Master Scuba Diver or Divemaster.

Ron

Everything else equal, completing Rescue marks when most people become divers. Before that you just don't have the skills (or the experience) to allow you to be anything more than a accident waiting to happen.

As soon as you get comfortable with the OW & AOW skills, move on to Rescue.

JMNSHO:)

Steven

I took the Rescue course because I often dive where I'm on business travel and this often means teaming up with a buddy of questionable skills. I have no desire to go professional (instructor, DM, etc.) at this time, but think this is a great idea for all serious divers. It makes you a better diver in terms of self-rescue, and a MUCH more competent buddy.

I can't understate the self rescue aspect. What you learn is useful in dealing with stress, surprises and staying out of trouble.

PS. You can stil do the dry suit in time, and if you do cold water you enjoy the diving much more once you get the hang of it.

When I took it I had already been diving for over 10 years and it gave me some insight that I had never thought about and made me a better dive buddy... I think any and all training is good as long as you use it and apply it.

Rich :mean:

of the above.

yes this class is very much worth it it can be a hard and tiring class , but what you learn is also more self control kinda like the advance buoyancy class great class

Back
Top Bottom