Rescue Dive. To log or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree. If you dive, it is logged as a dive. I log not to accumulate dives, but to accumulate information. If it is a short dive but noteworthy, then I log it. I once had trouble equalizing and got to 5 m after about 4 minutes. The dive leader sent me back up. I did not log the dive. Nothing noteworthy to mention. During my rescue course, I was up and down (3 to 5 m) many times but only logged 2 dives over the full day.

Training dives are about learning. Log what you have learned and in my books that counts as a noteworthy dive that should be logged.

Best

GJS

Exactly. The purpose of the log is so that you have your own personal record of your diving. Therefore, you should log any actual dive, and certainly anything significant. I don't think that the length of time matters as much as what happened.

If you put a time limit on what constitutes a dive, then why are two 20 minute dives logged for twice as many dives as one 2 and a half our dive? People who go on to technical or rebreather training may see their dive count progress slow down, as you start doing one long dive while the recreational divers on the same boat are getting two dives in.

Case in point - this weekend, I was having an issue with one of my sensors on my second dive. It was close enough to the other two that I decided to go diving, but to stop at 20 feet and do an oxygen flush to see if it would react to high PO2 (which I can't generate on the surface). Sure enough, at 20 feet, that one was still lagging, and the difference was bigger. I decided to thumb the dive rather than starting with one sensor voted out and relying on the other two, and then I opened the rebreather and confirmed my hypothesis (water on cell #2), dried it out, recalibrated, etc..

So that was a 5 minute dive, but it was a learning experience for me (as a new CCR diver). So that one definitely goes in the log book.

With respect to Mustard Dave's point, I see in my logbook that I did record a couple of dives for the Rescue course, but I regret not having included much detail. All it says is something like "Rescue exercises all day. Exhausted." I really don't recall much of what we did. (Perhaps I should consider a Rescue refresher course.)

To me it is a dive log, not a scuba notebook. To some others it is different. Generally speaking a dive means I have entered the water, I have spent some time under water, I have exited the water. I have spent some time on land. It cannot be in a pool. I am not totally consistent. Do log class dives. Did not log a bounce dive to unhook the boat.

As I said before, it's a personal choice. I've had a few times when I put on doubles, deco bottles and dropped to 185 feet only to abort the dive due to bad vis. I didn't count those dives. My diving involves sightseeing, exploring or photographing. If I go in the water for any other reason, whether it's a class of anchor retrieval I don't count them.

I did not log my Rescue course as dives. I did list them in my logbook to keep track of when I did the course and what I did. To each their own

As we know, certain courses require certain nos. of logged dives to begin. As well, I believe PADI has a rule that something like 15' for 20 mins. or a certain amount of PSI used = 1 official dive. Of course that stuff means little when instructors basically want to see how you dive and (at least in my case), never look at dive logs.

I'm doing Rescue this weekend. I'll log whatever dives we do. I use logbook as backup documentation for whatever training dives I've done, especially since instructor(s) sign them. I like redundancy. :D

I do a dive, I count it, and I log it.

I make notes of weighting, how buoyancy/trim were, how kicks were, and stuff I saw. This past weekend had "too many catfish" and "bluegill mobbed me." :D

Even one minute dives? Many of the rescue course dives are one to two minutes.

As others have implied, if you learn something on a two-minute dive that you want to remember, why not log it? I use "log it" in the broad sense of writing something in a book, not necessarily in the narrow sense of adding the dive to one's "total dive count."

As others have implied, if you learn something on a two-minute dive that you want to remember, why not log it? I use "log it" in the broad sense of writing something in a book, not necessarily in the narrow sense of adding the dive to one's "total dive count."

Never mind, Max, I guess you were replying specifically to this:

I do a dive, I count it, and I log it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom