Rescue Dive. To log or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As others have implied, if you learn something on a two-minute dive that you want to remember, why not log it? I use "log it" in the broad sense of writing something in a book, not necessarily in the narrow sense of adding the dive to one's "total dive count."
What I do in such circumstances, as I said earlier, is combine dives that have a series of short segments into one longer dive. My description can cover anything I want.

it helps that my log book consists of completely blank pages. A dive about which I have little to say takes up very little space. A dive for which I have a lot to say may take pages.

I've had a change of heart recently.

I used to (and still do) maintain my electronic log (Macdive). So like @stuartv I'll either merge short dives (whether they be a training dive, an anchor bounce etc) so as no to give them a dive number, but to record total bottom time. Other "non dives" will get a zero as their dive number.

However now, as a shiney new instructor, I keep a written log book just for training dives with students. The dive numbers don't tie up with my electronic log, nor have they any real relevance (actually they do tie up with my book of notes I make away from the student). However it was a tip given to me by an experienced instructor.

1 Seeing the Instructor log the dive, encourages the student to do so. While all the interesting stuff they see on a dive is nice, I reinforce the importance of recording weights used, exposure suit thickness and gas used. Obviously the weighting is a good reference for future dives, but also with gas usage, the student can see some imrovement over time

2. The look on the students face is priceless when you ask them to sign your log book. Its just a littel thing but it means a lot to them (as I've seen with my own eyes)

My electronic log is great, and perfect for recording and sorting data, but it's very impersonal and sterile

I hope that in the future I'll be able to skim through these written log books and then the notes and signatures will evoke memories

I've always figure when diving singles: 1 Tank = 1 Dive.

I've had a change of heart recently.

2. The look on the students face is priceless when you ask them to sign your log book. Its just a littel thing but it means a lot to them (as I've seen with my own eyes)

My instructors have students sign their (the instructors') logbooks, as well.

DDubai, Yes, students were always pleased to sign my book. A few years ago a couple asked me why I asked them to sign. I said I lived out of town and most likely won't run into you again, so maybe I'll look back in 30 years and remember you and the class. He said: "How old are you?"--"Sixty"...."Good luck with that"....

When I read the title, I was thinking a real rescue, which I would log with as much detail, including names and phone numbers as I could get.

As for logging the class: Why? I might write down some details, though I would be hard pressed to give it a dive number.

Or..., as your profile says, you "just don't log dives". I don't log, either. I will be going for my Rescue Certification in a little over a week. I won't log those dives, other than with my Shearwater Perdix AI.

I think that I would put one logged entry or all the dives that day , and comments relating to lessons learned

I won't log those dives, other than with my Shearwater Perdix AI.
I wouldn't wear it. It can only get in the way and you won't need it. Stick to just an SPG for this and keep it tucked out of the way.

I wouldn't wear it. It can only get in the way and you won't need it. Stick to just an SPG for this and keep it tucked out of the way.

Yeah, but shouldn't you do rescue training wearing whatever gear you normally wear? Not sure how a Perdix would get in the way, but if you would be wearing it in an actual rescue, you should wear it in class. Plus, the logging thing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom