Rescue Dive. To log or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't logged any of the pool exercices.
Then I did one log for the first OW morning (we did one "fun" dive with a few exercice at the surface before diving), and a whole lot of exercices with a lot of going up and down after.
I did a second log for the first OW afternoon, where we did the first scenario (very short dive) and another fun dive after.
Then I wrote an entry in my log for the second morning of OW and scenario 2 because I wanted to remember it and note down a few tips from my instructor, but I didn't count it as a dive since I stayed in the surface.

So basically, I have a lot of notes scribbled down in my log book, and decided to clump some of those as "dives", some not. But that's why my log book is just a normal notebook, so that I can write whatever I feel like in it and want to remember, and not feel forced to follow and be restricted by the usual "dive" format. I even have some snorkelling sessions logged in it because I saw something cool I wanted to remember.

I had the same question, and it is true that according to PADI, two dives are logged. But that is silly, especially for the first five, ehich was 90% surface drills for me. I only logged the second, in which I demonstrated proficiency in several underwater scenarios. Diving profiles from the rescue course look funny, though!

IMG_0440.jpg

My "pool" session for rescue diver was actually a shore dive, with some of the worst currents I've ever had to deal with. I didn't log them though. I did log the 2 dives that were offshore since it was a "real" dive with dealing with panicked diver at depth and some surface rescue scenarios

Edit: with that said it's your logbook, your dive history. If you want to log it, then log it. If not, don't. If someone decides not to count it towards your total (like trying to meet minimum requirements for DM), then that's their discretion.

When I read the title, I was thinking a real rescue, which I would log with as much detail, including names and phone numbers as I could get.

As for logging the class: Why? I might write down some details, though I would be hard pressed to give it a dive number.

ok so I'm doing my rescue course right now.

What's the consensus on logging . . .?

It seems clear to me from the gazillion threads on what to log or not log that there is "consensus."

For what it's worth (and it's worth next to nothing), I don't log really short dives, or some dives--even if an hour long in a lake or quarry--in which I'm doing nothing but repetitive training exercises of the type I have done many times before. I suppose if some event happened that was out of the ordinary, or from which I might learn something, I might log it. Otherwise, nah.

But if you're logging not just for your own interest but for satisfying some agency's prerequisite for another course, then by all means log a dive if the agency sanctions logging such a dive..

Thread drift: are you allowed to do a practical portion of course before theory part?
I came from diving trip yesterday, and what started as a joke (I wanted to check compass on my new Perdix.....sort of new with 25 dives on it now) and did navigation part for CMAS 3*. After that did the rest of practical requirements, now need some more courses and theory part of 3* course and then I will become CMAS 3* diver.
First time I hit objective, but control buoy became detached, so I had to do repeat. Second time was a miss, third time lucky. I logged three dives, since every dive required RIB transport offshore. If someone does not like that, they are free to discount those dives from my dive count.
Also did AN/DP course and logged every dive, since it was regular dive with some practice at the end. The same was for exam dive.

ok so I'm doing my rescue course right now.

What's the consensus on logging in the short small dives that you do? The 5-10 min ones where you bring a diver to the surface, or do the short search and rescue.

Do people log those short dives or not?

Log whatever your computer says separately for posterity sake but count the numbering in such a way that you log two dives per dive day in terms of the actual numbers.

R..

Log whatever your computer says separately for posterity sake but count the numbering in such a way that you log two dives per dive day in terms of the actual numbers.
This is a key reason why I don't bother with computer dive logging but rely on old-fashioned paper logging instead. As an instructor, I end up doing a whole lot of little dives to set up and break down equipment. As a technical diver I often do similar dives. For example, last weekend I did 5-6 "dives" setting up ascent/descent lines, staging decompression bottles, picking up spent bottles, etc. My computer considers each one a separate dive; I don't. If I were to use the computer dive log, I would have to take the time to go in and override everything manually, which is a PITA. I prefer to open my log book at the end of the day and jot down what I did in a way that makes sense to me.

The Rescue Course is one of the rare moments when the students have the same problem. You just combine several dives in a way that makes sense. PADI says to combine things into two dives. If that makes sense to you, then go with it.

On the other hand, if it does not make sense to you, do something else. It's YOUR logbook. There are no laws involved. The scuba police are not going to go over it like immigration officials inspecting the passport of a suspected terrorist. Do what is meaningful for you. It seems to me that what you did in your rescue class should be in the logbook in some way, but others may disagree. It's their right.

I didn't include my rescue class at the time. I've since abandoned logsheets for more of an old fashioned journal arranged by date- noting things of more personal interest. Some entries don't even have dive counts, bottom time etc. As mentioned you keep records according to your own diving 'goals'.

I think it comes down to the fact that after one has reached some number of dives, 500 or 1000 or whatever, keeping a count of the total number of dives one has done seems to matter less and less. When you have only done 20 dives in your life, every incremental dive is a big deal, and it naturally matters to you whether it "counts" or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom