Suggestion Require Two-factor authentication for Classified privileges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Brett Hatch

Brett Hatch

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Please upvote or downvote
If you are for this 2FA idea, please upvote this post, and if you are against it, please downvote. Upvote/downvote buttons are the triangles on the right side of this post. This will help us to gauge how the community feels about this idea.

Background
ScubaBoard has a perennial problem of scammers. They usually show up in the Classified sections, or send Private Messages (PMs) to users who have Classified threads up. Currently, ScubaBoard's Classifieds sections and Private Message privileges are granted once a SB account has been somewhat active in the community. But we do not require Two Factor Authentication (2FA) for these privileges.

What is the suggestion?
I propose that we start requiring 2FA before granting access to the Classified section, as well as Private Messages. The purpose of this is to help reduce the frequency and effectiveness of scams on ScubaBoard.

What is the problem?
There are a few common flavors of scammers:

- A scammer makes a new account, reaches the threshold required for Classified and/or Private Message privileges, and then tries to scam people.

For the new account, I don't think 2FA can eliminate this type of scam. It would put some more barriers up in front of potential scammers, which is always helpful in the same way that a weak bike lock still helps prevent bike theft. But, scammers can do the steps to enable 2FA for their new scam account, and go on to attempt to scam people.

- Some existing account is hijacked by a scammer, and the scammer benefits from the account's relatively good standing in the community.

These are most often this is an account whose credentials are the same as some other website, and the credentials have been leaked. This type of scammer is harder to spot than the new account, because people really do come and go on ScubaBoard. Legitimately taking a break for a few years and then coming back to sell off some gear is a pretty common situation that's not a scam. Requiring 2FA for Classified and PM privileges would address most of this type of scam, since it would be much more difficult to hijack the SB account in the first place.

What is 2FA, how do I turn it on, and why it is helpful?
ScubaBoard already has two-factor authentication (2FA) built-in. It is currently optional, and you can turn it on in your security preferences. I highly recommend that all ScubaBoard users turn it on right away. I strongly recommend turning it on for other websites as well, especially sensitive ones like your email, your bank, your investments. It is one of the simplest, most effective security measures, because it means that even if your password is guessed or leaked, an attacker cannot use your password to sign into your account.

There are several types of 2FA. ScubaBoard supports email-based 2FA and app-based 2FA. App-based 2FA is more secure, and is most recommended. Email-based 2FA is less secure than app-based, but it is still much more secure than nothing. The reason email is less secure than an app is that if your email is compromised as well as your ScubaBoard account, then the 2FA offers no protection. This risk can be mitigated by enabling 2FA on your email as well, which of course I recommend, and do so myself.

ScubaBoard members are generally suspicious of new accounts, and are great at reporting suspicious activity. A huge thank-you to those of you who report possible scammers! Please, please keep doing this, it is the main way mods notice scams! The Mod Squad is spread around the globe, so we see the reports pretty quickly, and once we look into an account, it is usually obvious to the mods that they are a scammer. Most of the time, we get word of the scammer and ban them before any scam takes place, but of course we can't guarantee this, and unfortunately the scammers are sometimes successful.

Other ideas I've seen
- Increasing the threshold for Classified and PM privileges. For example, we could require 100 posts
Pro: helps with the "new account" type of scammer
Cons: doesn't do much for hijacked accounts. Inhibits legitimate users who just don't have that many posts yet

- Make it more difficult, or impossible, to use VPNs to use ScubaBoard. A VPN conceals the user's IP address
Pros: scammers use VPNs to conceal their identity, so it would help prevent some scammers entirely. Also, if we ban the IP address of a known scammer, it would make it more difficult for the same scammer to use a new IP address and a new account to try another scam
Con: some legitimate users use VPNs for reasons besides scams; such users would either need to disable their VPN while using ScubaBoard, or simply stop using ScubaBoard

- Require a text message (SMS) to verify the account. This suggestion is a bit like 2FA, but uses text messages instead of an app or email
Pro: Scammers would need a phone number in order to attempt a scam. Acquiring a phone number is a hurdle to get over, and often is not free
Con: Sending text messages costs money, and ScubaBoard would need to pay those costs. ScubaBoard also is not set up for this, and we would likely need to purchase more software and some cloud service to

- Require ScubaBoard sponsorship for Classified / PM privileges
Pro: we'd put a financial barrier in front of scammers, so new accounts would need to pay money in order to attempt their scam.
Con: this would be very alienating to users who are not interested in (or not able to) become a ScubaBoard sponsor. It also would not eliminate risk from hijacked accounts that are already ScubaBoard sponsors. Also, subjectively speaking, it just has a vibe to it that I don't really like

Suggestions?
If you have any other ideas about how to address scammers on ScubaBoard, I would love to hear about them. You can post in this thread, or you can send me a PM. Thank you.

I think people have a duty to others to secure their accounts. In the most recent case several people including myself almost fell victim to a scammer who took over another user’s account.

I think you should require an account be secured by 2fa before it can post in the classifieds.

I find the question to complicated so I won’t vote on it. A suggestion; only allow me to sell on SB, that way everyone will know the scammer.

I know, and like 2FA - but doubt it will raise the bar here for scammers. They are able to create and own accounts at-will -Apparently there's been instances of them taking over existing accounts, which would be a good way to get instant credibility, but once they have access to any account, either new, or takeover, it's just about zero friction to enable MFA on the account.

They could be required to be a paid Supporter, but they can presumably pay with whatever PayPal or other accounts that they're already using to fraudulently receive funds, so may not help. I can't see SB owners+mods wanting to take on much if any additional overhead, when there appears to be little upside for them. So far the banning of VPN's seems like the solution most closely tied to actual observed behavior.

I propose that we start requiring 2FA before granting access to the Classified section, as well as Private Messages. The purpose of this is to help reduce the frequency and effectiveness of scams on ScubaBoard.
This won't provide much of a barrier, unless 2FA is turned on globally.

If I'm a scammer, I compromise a non-2FA account and now turn on 2FA and post. . .

It's a tough problem, and I don't think there's an easy answer.

Banning VPNs seems to be the solution most likely to work. Can you require 2fa for all VPN users? Alternatively, can you whitelist users who are currently using a VPN?

I'd be good with 2FA......although I'm not sure that a true scammer would not get around it. I actually think a great tool we have here is the Trader History option to leave feedback for folks as both buyers and sellers. Just click on a members avatar in any thread and the Trader History option is right there.

Requiring 2FA is probably not the answer to this problem. However, it might be a good idea (and revenue generator) to require that all sellers on the Classified section be ScubaBoard supporters and make them enable 2FA as part of the process. This would create some friction and cost for scammers, provide some form of identification to the board, and generate some revenue and value to users for contributions.

I haven't sold anything of SB yet, because I want to establish a presence first. I believe this is the most useful control to seller and buyers who come to SB for this purpose only. I don't know if 100 posts is too high but what we have now can be done in several minutes. I believe a some point in between makes sense. I also believe that blocking VPN provides a level of assurance that the MODS can see who is attempting to control an account or create an account. This makes blocking much more successful. My suggestion is a combination of solutions that will get the biggest bang for the buck. I don't believe anything you do will be accepted happily by everyone, but a mixed approach doesn't appear to pick on a single group. Maybe it will get me off my lazy A.. and become a supporter!

I'd be good with 2FA......although I'm not sure that a true scammer would not get around it. I actually think a great tool we have here is the Trader History option to leave feedback for folks as both buyers and sellers. Just click on a members avatar in any thread and the Trader History option is right there.
trader history and post count don’t protect against account takeovers

Not really liking the 2FA - I just don't need more friction in my life. My email is laggy (seemingly, especially, when I am waiting for something) so that is annoying and I am not keen on adding yet another app to all of my devices and needing to keep one of them with me. MY PW manager is now pushing close to 300 logins as I implement unique PWs everywhere.

Admittedly, I use cached logins on my browsers (all on my personal secured devices) so that should mitigate the need for reauthentication, but if you are going to require 2FA, you really should be eliminating cached logins as a potential security hole on public/shared-device situations. And that is going to raise the friction level significantly - i.e. constant re-logins.

And I agree with others above that it doesn't deal with the dormant account hijacking that didn't have 2FA.

I don't know if it is possible with the existing user-profiling of the board SW, but maybe requiring something like 20 "recent" posts to engage in the classifieds and also scanning for atypical posting blitzes. I frequently find a whole pile of (often "random") last-posts in the "New-Posts" listing, all from the same newbie, when I check-in first thing in the morning, and I wonder if we are seeing a pending "attack".

Another possible authorization regime would be to use server-stored authentication using device/browser profiles as a 2FA alternative. Some of my more sensitive sites that I access (banking/financial) allow me to authorize my devices for access, frequently renewed periodically.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom