Reporting from Kona - Awesome Operator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladycute1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone....

I wanted to let everyone know about my recent experiences in Kona.

When I visited Kona for the first time in '99 I did my very first introductory dive with Nicki from Torpedo Tours. At the time, Nicki and her husband Mike's business was a relatively young company... I had a great time on my intro -- I now hold NIcki personally responsible for my scuba addiction. I returned 6 months later and Nicki certified.

Well... I was sliding down the slippery slope and picking up speed! Six and a half years later, with almost 600 warm water dives I'm now an open water scuba instructor. I've dived, Hawaii, Fiji, Belize and Mexico.

Over the years, on the occasions that I would get to Kona, I had drifted away from Torpedo Tours... trying out other companies... taking recommendations from friends... and in general, shopping around. Well, today, I had the opportunity to have a reunion with Torpedo Tours.

Mike and Nicki have bought another boat! They still have their previous boat, the Dive Bomber. Both boats are painted their signature yellow... makes them easy to pick out of a crowd :10: Their newest boat... I think the name is Na Pali Kai II (forgive me if my Hawaiian has lapsed) was recently acquired from another dive operator. While the Dive Bomber is trailered, the Na Pali Kaii II is slipped at the Honokohau Boat Harbor!! There is no need for a trip to a dive shop. Make your arrangements on the phone or by internet, meet at the boat... and be on your way!! With a few new touches, this boat provides an awesome diving experience.

It's a fairly wide boat -- so nice and stable. It has a flying bridge... so great views and breezes. The bow is accessible to customers... and serves as a large sunbathing deck. The swim step is big enough to have a party on.... and the ladder is sturdy and easy to use. Little touches like covered plastic bins under the seats for your dry gear really make the experience easy. Gear, including their famous Torpedo DPV's is stowed below, so they are really able to accommodate the divers' needs and maintain a great deal of flexibility. The cabin area is roomy enough that there is a snack corner with lemonade, water, pretzels, peanuts and cookies kept available and accessible all day. Sandwiches are available between dives. Unlike many boats on Kona, this boat actually has a head... though, like most marine heads, best reserved for emergencies... o' naturel is still easier.

The Dive Bomber is still in the water... and busy too... I didn't ask, but it looks like the Dive Bomber is used primarily for fishing and the Na Pali Kaii II for diving... though I know the Dive Bomber still makes a great dive boat.

And, as usual... 'Queen Nicki' still has an incredibly diverse repertoire of dive sites... Even though I've been to Kona many times... and have logged lots of dives here... I think I actually visited a site new to me today! -- but of course, Nicki new it well and was able to find all kinds of great critters including a huge ghost shrimp and a red striped pipe fish.

The icing on the cake was the new staff... Nicki and Mike have recruited two fabulous crew members from the local dive community. These guys are so friendly, knowledgeable, laid back and accommodating - they're a dream to dive with.

I'm stunned and thrilled! Finally, I have a dive operator to handle the groups I've been wanting to bring to Kona!

You can get more info at their website www.torpedotours.com (although it looks like it might need some updating) -- or just call and talk to Nicki!!! 1-808-938-0405

It was such an awesome day, I'm going back for more in the morning!

Keep up the good work, guys!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom