Replacing ScubaPro 109 w/ Deep 6?????

Will Deep 6 Second Stage work properly as designed with ScubaPro Mk V First Stage

• Yes. There won't be a problem

Votes: 17 100.0%
  • No. The second stage is not a good fit with the Mk V

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never seen this either. I have three of these 109's, one on my regulator and two on my spare regulator. These have been in use and regularly serviced since the early 80's. Here are some pictures of the lever:

IMG_1928[1].JPG IMG_1929[1].JPG IMG_1927[1].JPG

This was in the primary of my spare regulator being used by my son. It caused an immediate and complete failure during a dive so was as far as he knew an out of air situation (it wasn't truly since he could have used his own safe 2nd but he did not know that yet).

The irony of all this was we had just completed a practice of the out of air ascent during this same dive. So I thought he was trying to improve the practice by surprising me with an unplanned out of air simulation (he seemed way too calm for this to be a real OOA). But for him it was quite real. The final outcome was after stabilizing on my safe 2nd we discovered his safe 2nd was functional so he returned to his and we ended the dive.

After the dive I disassembled the 109 to understand what happened. Once I found the cause I also disassembled the other two. They show no sign of rust on the demand lever.

Well done to you and your son on handling the situation.

As you are comfortable disassembling your reg, why not skip the incompetent LDS for service? You can purchase a lever here:

Store - Vintage Double Hose

This video shows how to service it.

Parts are also available from VDH

Last edited:
@herman
why on earth would you swap a great reg for a lesser one?

While the 109 was a great regulator at the time and still performs great, I wouldn't call our second stage a lesser one.

For one, our second is balanced versus the unbalanced 109, and we have unique internal components that improve the airflow. We have also improved the serviceability of our second as the demand lever no longer needs to be inserted into grooves as our turbine piston is universal. You can simply slide it into place and clip the lever back on.

Either way, the OP should be confident our second stage would work with the SP first stage. Most components between manufacturers are fine to mix, just tune them properly. If you do not want to buy a new second stage, the advice of upgrading or replacing the internal components would work.

Good luck and happy diving.

Cheers,
Landon

Last edited:
@herman

While the 109 was a great regulator at the time and still performs great, I wouldn't call our second stage a lesser one.

For one, our second is balanced versus the unbalanced 109, and we have unique internal components that improve the airflow. We have also improved the serviceability of our second as the demand lever no longer needs to be inserted into grooves as our turbine piston is universal. You can simply slide it into place and clip the lever back on.

Either way, the OP should be confident our second stage would work with the SP first stage. Most components between manufacturers are fine to mix, just tune them properly. If you do not want to buy a new second stage, the advice of upgrading or replacing the internal components would work.

Good luck and happy diving.

Cheers,
Landon

Thanks for the input. One of the drawbacks that faces me is that I am NOT close to a shop to tune the second stage. My 109 works now, and I have a spare - sort of - which I can use if necessary. It's a heck of a deal to pass up.

Thanks - M²

One of the drawbacks that faces me is that I am NOT close to a shop to tune the second stage. My 109 works now, and I have a spare - sort of - which I can use if necessary. It's a heck of a deal to pass up.

You just need a hex key to tune it. It isn't difficult. We freely publish our service manual which would show you how, and I believe there are numerous youtube videos. That being said, most second stages are tuned to work out of the box, as is ours. I am just highlighting that to be most 'optimal' some people like to tune theirs to their exact IP and/or flow preference.

But.... if you are happy with the way yours is working and it doesn't need to be replaced, I don't really see the need. I like making sales, but I'm also a realist. lol.

The 109 is a great reg but it will cost you nearly as much to upgrade it as the Deep6 costs, parts needed to make it a balanced adjustable $40 plus shipping, purge cover is $15, exhaust tee is also $15. You can save $20 by doing the duro poppet (all that’s needed really) and the purge cover and tee may be reusable, with shipping you are still close to $30 and if you have to pay someone to do it another $20 to $30. The Deep6 second is a very nice reg and at $65 it’s hard to pass up.

I dive a G250V and a 109BA. I'm waiting for my Deep6 second to arrive and then I'll be able to compare :wink:

I dive a G250V and a 109BA. I'm waiting for my Deep6 second to arrive and then I'll be able to compare :wink:
Please post back your comparison. Cheers.
Yes Please do, I am anxiously awaiting the results. (There's really no rush... :))

:cheers: - M²

The Deep6 second is a very nice reg and at $65 it’s hard to pass up.

I can't argue with that. It's a very attractive price.

But the OP mentioned he will be pairing whichever second stage he settles on with a MK5 which is balanced, so no need to upgrade to a $40 s-wing poppet. However even if he does, a service kit will only cost $12 after that. The $20 duro poppet upgrade allows a $5 kit thereafter.

@BenF....I'm looking forward to your comparison too.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom