Replacing ScubaPro 109 w/ Deep 6?????

Will Deep 6 Second Stage work properly as designed with ScubaPro Mk V First Stage

• Yes. There won't be a problem

Votes: 17 100.0%
  • No. The second stage is not a good fit with the Mk V

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you really want to make this decision based on a popular vote? Wouldn't you be better off asking a local Scubapro professional repair shop you trust? (after all: I am not always right but I am always confident)

From the comments, it seems as if the OP is more looking at the opinions of a few of the local experts than the vote tally.

Do you really want to make this decision based on a popular vote? Wouldn't you be better off asking a local Scubapro professional repair shop you trust? (after all: I am not always right but I am always confident)

And you can be pretty sure a local shop will say you need a NEW ScubaPro....@ $300 for a 2nd.
:facepalm::)

He asked, I answered.
My opinion is to overhaul or upgrade the 109, assuming it is in good enough condition to do that. This is what I did, downgrading as it were from a newer unit (G250, moved to octo duty) that was not metal.
Prior to that I swapped the balanced guts from the G250 into the 109 and it worked fine. Then I got the duro-poppet from Vintage, put that in, and can't really tell much difference.

Last edited:
From the comments, it seems as if the OP is more looking at the opinions of a few of the local experts than the vote tally.

Fair enough. I was just a little surprised by the vote buttons.

And you can be pretty sure a local shop will say you need a NEW ScubaPro....@ $300 for a 2nd.

Indeed I just experienced this. I had a 109 fail (demand lever rusted) and the local shop returned it as unserviceable. So you do make a good point.

There is no local dive shop, much less a ScubaPro shop, AND I have to trust it too????

This is pretty accurate. So far everyone says it will work, but many in here have commented to keep the 109. It's working, I was just thinking that the Deep 6 is on sale and has a pretty good reputation. Shiny and new is tempting. Based on the comment thus far, I have decided not to get the Deep 6 (although it's probably a great 2nd stage) and use the money on some of my other "want" list items.

Thanks to everyone! :)

I have another 109 question, but I'll put it in a new post.

Thanks again - M²

Fair enough. I was just a little surprised by the vote buttons.

Indeed I just experienced this. I had a 109 fail (demand lever rusted) and the local shop returned it as unserviceable. So you do make a good point.

A little off topic but a 109 lever rusted??? I have never seen a demand lever in any reg rusted, much less to the point a good cleaning in an ultrasonic cleaner and a bit of polishing would not return it to service....not saying it didn't happen but it sure makes me go Hummmmmmm.

Neither have I and I've bought some very old regs that were in terrible condition but have never seen a lever like so. I'm hmmming with Herman on this one.

Rusted, broken, bent....doesn't matter. The 109 lever is common to plenty of regulators and is available from any honest ScubaPro dealer. I would like to see a 109 that is truly not serviceable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom