Replacements for Jetfins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rye_a

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been diving in the same pair of Jetfins since I got my OW certification about 20 years ago, and it is finally time to get a new pair of fins. This is not because the jets are worn out (they last forever, don't they?) but because there is no way I'll fit the size 13 hard soled booties I'll be using wth my new drysuit in my L Jetfins.

I would stick with Jetfins, but they are so heavy for air travel that I want to look at alternatives. Can anyone recommend a good set of paddle style (no splits please) fins that I wll be happy with?

OMS Slipstreams are a lighter weight copy of the Jet Fin - don't know if they will fit a size 13 bootie.

i started with jets and switched to dive rite fins and have never looked back. they are lighter and i feel like they are more powerful.

I second the Dive Rite fins, they're nice. The only drawbacks:
  • They look all nice and shiny when you get them but after the first day you take them into a cave they'll look ten years old
  • The rubber section can rip, I know a couple friends whose fins got destroyed that way. They're durable and last a while, but not forever like your Jet Fins have.
I think Dive Rite is redesigning the fin or something right now, so you may be able to find a good deal on the current models.

OMS Slipstreams are a lighter weight copy of the Jet Fin - don't know if they will fit a size 13 bootie.

XXL probably will. This is what I use for my drysuit with size 12 rock boots.

XXL probably will. This is what I use for my drysuit with size 12 rock boots.

Yep XXL OMS's fit my 12 rock boots, and they fit my work boots size 13's I tried a pair of XXL jets with my rock boots and they don't fit. Its a shame to because I'll rather have my heavier fins on when I'm diving dry.

I can't imagine replacing my Jets with something else.....

Anyway, I tried the Aqualung Rocket II once. I think they are pretty good. Though the fins are short, but I find them pretty stiff. They are pretty light (with respect to the Jets) as well. So they might be nice for your travelling needs.

The XXL Slipstreams are ideal for rockboot type applications while the XXL Jet Fins are enormous in comparison. I am not sure what SP was thinking when they designed them and called them XXL rather than XXXL or even XXXXL.

rye_a:
there is no way I'll fit the size 13 hard soled booties I'll be using wth my new drysuit in my L Jetfins.

I honestly can't believe you can fit a size 13 barefoot in a L Jet. I'm a size 9 and I can't wear a L if the boot is too thick.

I'm actually a 12, but I'll need 13 booties for my DS. I wear 3mm soft soled booties in my jets, but its tight!

I honestly can't believe you can fit a size 13 barefoot in a L Jet. I'm a size 9 and I can't wear a L if the boot is too thick.

Back
Top Bottom