DIR- GUE Replaceable Drysuit Neck and Wrist Seals - Latex or Silicone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never tore a neck seal (I use dui silicone zip seals), but I shredded my first and only pair of silicone wrist seals almost straight away, although admittedly I was lobstering with them.

As a narrow shouldered person, I found the first and second generation SiTech neck rings covered too much of my shoulders and really limited arm mobility. I find the DUI neck Zip Seal to be much more comfortable, plus it doesn’t restrict arm mobility at all. Doesn’t interfere with my shoulders.

I much prefer silicone seals.

My opinion is about 179 degrees from yours: User-replaceable wrist seals are vital, but ring systems on the neck seals work better than the glued-in type.

I've had drysuits with and without neck ring systems. In my experience, the DUI zipseal was workable but clunky (and expensive, and inconvenient if you don't have access to the proprietary seal you need, and there are two mutually incompatible versions of it), whereas the SiTech neck ring is fast and easy to install, takes any seal that's handy, and has never been in the way.

I've ripped at least two neck seals, and I've had a few perish from age/use. None of the local shops where I've lived have been able to install glued neck seals, and I don't have the setup or know-how to do it myself. The time and expense required to ship off my suits to get new neck seals installed has ranged from annoying to prohibitive.

In sum, SiTech FTW.

@stretchthepenn so you don't feel the SiTech neck ring at all after you put the suit on?

I can tell the neck ring exists, but that's about the extent of its impact on me.

To be fair, though, my size may have something to do with that. I'm 6'4" with fairly wide shoulders.

Same here. I'm 6'03" and have rather broad shoulders.

@JMBL @stretchthepenn how wide is the SiTech neck ring? Is it flexible at all?

@Marie13 how wide are your shoulders if you don't mind me asking? Just so that I have a comparison.

I just did a quick measurement on myself and I have approximately 15 inches (38 cm) from shoulder to shoulder.

@ahcalde

I don’t know and can’t find my measuring tape at the moment! I can tell you this: The SiTech neck rings covered most of my shoulders. I can’t tell the DUI ZipSeal neck ring is there. I was also told that the Santi Ladies First suits don’t include a replaceable neck seal as an option because they’re not good for narrow shouldered people, which are many women.

dui zip seals are solid, however the silicone zip seals don't stand up well on the wrists. they're fine for the neck seal but i'd use latex for the wrists. if you do use silicone seals on the wrists, keep a set of spares with you. nice thing about the zip seals is you can always change one out.

I’d say you should keep a set of spares, regardless if you use silicone or latex. That’s the point of having user replaceable seals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom