Replace Power Inflator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Locus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was soaking my bc (pressurized with tank attached) in a bathtub and I noticed a tiny leak in the power inflator. About one very small bubble every two seconds was coming up from the edge of the inflate button (from the crack between the button and the housing).

Should I replace the inflator? Or overhaul it? Will the inflators for sale on Dive Gear Express work with my DSS wing? What will I need to do the job myself, or should I just take it to the shop?

I'd overhaul it first. I'm guessing it has been soaked after every dive but not really rinsed. You need to run fresh water through it while working the buttons. Soaking gear doesn't do much but loosen up salt and debris. If you don't rinse it the junk that was loose and suspended just dries and settles back in to place. But if you did want to replace it yes the inflators from DGE will work. The tools required? A set of dikes to cut the old zip tie and a pair of pliers to tighten the new one you'll put on with the new inflator.

seconded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jb7O0DLde0
good video, conveniently on a DSS inflator, and is actually the one from the DSS website

likely a removal of the parts and a quick soak in the ultrasonic with some vinegar will get it looking just as good as new. O-ring sizes are listed at the 2:30 ish time frame. What usually happens with these is a bit of salt buildup happens on one of the metal parts and keeps it from sealing all the way. Not a big deal, but unless you have one of the power flush tools that goes in from the inflator QD and use it regularly, there is no real way to clean them all the way short of disassembly.
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1302
good little tool to have and pretty cheap. Tobin may also have the O-rings that you can buy from him while you have the tool being shipped so you don't have to buy a bunch of them.

You can get the overhaul tool and o-rings from Pirahna, not expensive. Dive Gear Express has a good little paragraph on how to do it. But at $15 for an entire inflator from DGE, you have to look at the overhaul as a way to have some fun rather than a way to save some money.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

I'd overhaul, as per tulsiops post, I enjoy taking things apart and fixing them. I do stock a couple of complete new inflator units from DGX too though, I like to take one when doing a live-aboard. They are simple to do just be careful when undoing dump stem not to damage the case as I did on my very first attempt. Yes, the generic units sold from DGX will fit your DSS hose. Good luck.

Tobin makes a wonderful tool for servicing inflators. You can generally overhaul them once or twice before the small scratches on the soft brass add up and you can't stop the leak. Replacement inflator units from Trident are about 35 - 40 dollars. They zip tie onto the elbow that DSS makes, so they are universal.

Thanks for the info everybody. I'll order the kit and do an overhaul, and get a spare inflator at the same time for when it does need replacement.

I actually have the DSS valve flushing tool, but I just got it a few weeks ago so I've only used it a couple of times on a wing I've had for about a year.

Is there a good video tutorial on switching the currogated hose out? Initially when I got my bpw I found the hose much too short, so I had it switched for a long one, but now I want to go back to the short one as I find my inflator is the only part of my kit that is still dangly and dragging the bottom.

I suggest considering the HOG power inflator if/when you have to replace it. I like the weight and feel better but YMMV.

Attachments

• PowerInflators.jpg
    PowerInflators.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 123
Again, cut the zip ties, put new hose on, tighten the new zip ties. That's the tutorial.

Thanks. I don't know why I always expect things to be more complicated.

When my LDS guy changed my hose before, he used an adhesive as well. This is not necessary?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom