Repair to BC bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would patching a bladder be dangerous? The patch should end up stronger than the rest of the bladder. Unless there is deteroration of some sort, I'd think the patch would be fine.

BTW, I'd patch my chute and I patch my tires as well.

ghostdiver1957:
Do you want to die?

I was so inspired by this one that I changed my signature line.

Diesel298:
OMS sells a emergency field repair kit for there BCs
i personally would replace the bladder
the internal bladder is only about 60 bucks i think.

ghost diver..
ive seen alot of your psts..
your not very friendly huh...

Can you direct me to a website that sells these replacement internal bladders? I am looking to replace my bladder just to be safe. Thanks.

Not friendly?

I'm trying to save someones life. If you take a typical recreational BCD with a hole in the bladder in for repair... they tell you there are two choices:

1. You can patch it yourself (dive shops are not supposed to do this) and take your chances or
2. The BCD has to be condemned.

If a BCD has to be condemned for having a hole in it (meaning neither the shop or the manufacturer is willing to fix it - for obvious liability reasons,) then should you the average Joe fix it and dive it? I think not.

dvr4lyf:
Duct Tape, Caulk, Hammer & Chisel...if that does'nt work you might want to buy a new bladder. If you were a skydiver would you patch your shute?

Safe Diving!! Joe[/QUOTE

the holes are 1/16''... I would repair them. And I have, many times jumped with a properly repaired chute.

ghostdiver1957:
Not friendly?

I'm trying to save someones life. If you take a typical recreational BCD with a hole in the bladder in for repair... they tell you there are two choices:

1. You can patch it yourself (dive shops are not supposed to do this) and take your chances or
2. The BCD has to be condemned.

If a BCD has to be condemned for having a hole in it (meaning neither the shop or the manufacturer is willing to fix it - for obvious liability reasons,) then should you the average Joe fix it and dive it? I think not.
i dodnt say i disagreed with you

Do you want to die? Sealing BCD bladders is not recommended. Basically a BCD bladder with cuts in it should be condemned. No reputable shop will repair it. While you can repair it yourself, it is not recommended. If you're poor and can't afford a new BCD that is a risk you may be willing to take with your life. If you have the money - buy a new one and toss that baby out.
I patched my OMS 32Lb bladder almost ten years ago. I've been down to 186ft in Truk Lagoon with it, and done a few hundred dives with it patched that way. Done properly, it will last you.

I'm with ghost diver on that one ! Then again I'm tech and cave and have to carry stages and there's no way in hell I'd trust a patched bcd carrying 6 tanks with many deco stops and long swims back, think about it for a minute... All my wings have double bladders I'm so scared one will fail... Redundancy is the key and any repaired break will always be the weakest point... If I'd have to rec dive on a single tank in tropical water, I guess I would do it if no other choice but would run to the nearest dive shop next chance I got, my life is definitely worth more than 75$...
Why would you take any chances, there's already so many things that can go wrong...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom