Repair to BC bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsdancey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an OMS wing for my BP/W which unfortunately has been damaged. There are two very small cuts in the ruberized bladder material - both roughly 1/16th of an inch.

What is a good sealing solution for these holes?

Ryan

rsdancey:
I have an OMS wing for my BP/W which unfortunately has been damaged. There are two very small cuts in the ruberized bladder material - both roughly 1/16th of an inch.

What is a good sealing solution for these holes?

Ryan

Do you want to die? Sealing BCD bladders is not recommended. Basically a BCD bladder with cuts in it should be condemned. No reputable shop will repair it. While you can repair it yourself, it is not recommended. If you're poor and can't afford a new BCD that is a risk you may be willing to take with your life. If you have the money - buy a new one and toss that baby out.

ghostdiver1957:
Do you want to die? Sealing BCD bladders is not recommended. Basically a BCD bladder with cuts in it should be condemned. No reputable shop will repair it. While you can repair it yourself, it is not recommended. If you're poor and can't afford a new BCD that is a risk you may be willing to take with your life. If you have the money - buy a new one and toss that baby out.

Interesting!! There have been numerous threads about repairing a leaking BC and I believe this is the first that said such repairs are to dangerous and the BC should be replaced.

I believe the more common response is that small holes can successfully be sealed with aquaseal. Larger holes may require a patching material. If the patch will have to expand, aquaseal may not be the best adhesive to use as it is not very elastic.

I agree I have patched my bladder up and it does not post any problems at all. You need to make sure the aquaseel does not bond to the other end of the bladder. You can do this by applying the patch then after an hour or so inflate the BC.

Does anyone know where to purchase a replacement bladder.

You dont need to toss out the whole BC just the bladder if you cant patch it. Buy a replacement bladder it should be much cheaper.

I have posted this question to OMS.

OMS sells a emergency field repair kit for there BCs
i personally would replace the bladder
the internal bladder is only about 60 bucks i think.

ghost diver..
ive seen alot of your psts..
your not very friendly huh...

Duct Tape, Caulk, Hammer & Chisel...if that does'nt work you might want to buy a new bladder. If you were a skydiver would you patch your shute? Or on maybe a "not so serious note" how do you feel about patching your car tire? All of these opinions are just that! opinions.... Personally I can't think of a better excuse for a new B.C.
Good luck & as always,

Safe Diving!! Joe

I have about 30 dives on a bladder in my DR Classic wing since I repaired a hole with AquaSeal & Cotol 240 mixed. No problems so far. I might think twice if I were diving in situations where becoming negative could cause major problems, but then again, such a situation would call for some type of redundancy anyhow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom