Repair Reviews for KME Auburn, WA? KME or Back to the Factory?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's entirely possible. I used to be a brass musical instrument player and some people eat right through the laquer finishes on trumpets, etc. with their sweat. I kind of fell into the middle ground on that one. They have to use valve guards (transparent plastic or leather) where they hold the instrument to avoid eating right through to the base metal! Silver plated
instruments didn't have that problem. You may have slightly acidic sweat.

Webmonkey, I was tempted to keep my seals as they were still spotless and only very very slightly sticky inbetween talcing, but seeing as I'm aiming for some more ambitious boat dives soon, I thought it better to replace them rather than lose an expensive boat dive.
I'll never know for sure how long I could have gone but I was very tempted to try and see!

The general consensus on TDL is that the zipper should have a life expectancy of well over 150 dives. I'm going to keep taking a poll at dive sites.

My other big decision/agonizing was weather or not to go to/try, bottle wrist seals. I have a little bit of "delay" getting into my cone seals but the additional bellow material looked like it would invite getting cut on something. I wondered why some folks prefer one type of seal over another. The bellow neck seal just seemed too...bellowy :) I didn't seem to need that much increased neck mobility to warrant them.
I'd appreciate opinions on seal types while we're here...

I don't have an opinion about bellows versus cone seals, except that, if you use the Viking dry glove rings, the bellows type wrist seals may fit better on the rings.

But I will say that, over time, I've taken to doing my own wrist seals, and if it weren't for the fact that I'm going to go neoprene on all of them, I'd tackle doing my own neck seals, too. It's not rocket science -- I actually found it pretty easy to do.

Everybody who owns a dry suit ought to have the Airspeed Press drysuit book, I think. There's a ton of useful information in it.

Webmonkey, I was tempted to keep my seals as they were still spotless and only very very slightly sticky inbetween talcing, but seeing as I'm aiming for some more ambitious boat dives soon, I thought it better to replace them rather than lose an expensive boat dive.

Mine don't get sticky either.

Maybe it's my sweat. Maybe it's because I only dive it in freshwater.

Terry

Ah yes, The Zipper Replacement...

You knew this day was coming...do enough diving and yes the gear eventually wore down. Or Out.

It's strange that there are only three manufacturers for drysuit zippers, Dynat, Talon and YKK. All I remember is YKK is in Japan...Dynat is Germany...no idea where Talon is.

But - where the suit manufacturers PUT those zippers is the key. Dive gear and the diver puts a lot of stress on those brass teeth. Bust just one tooth and the whole zipper is toast.

Friends have used KME in Auburn - with great results - just approach them very directly and say - "Look, I've read reviews about you guys - and I understand my mileage may vary - I want quality work done well. When I drop off my drysuit - Can I get a claim ticket for this drysuit?"

Like any small business - they should look you back in the eye and say - "Yes- we will take care of this - call us in X weeks".

I've only used DUI in So Cal - so my experience was slower than I'd hoped- it was 5 weeks for a new zipper, new feet, and new exhaust valve. Since their stuff is limited warrantied for 7 years, the socks and valve were no charge replacements...the zipper was all mine $ though.

Yes, it was 150 dives almost exactly before I needed this. Go figure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom