Whites Tech Skin - FDog Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for your great review James! I would whole heartedly agree with everything you have said. Thanks again your comments and those of many others will be taken into account for future ideas and projects to help you get what you want
When James first purchased the Fusion drysuit, and posted his review on scubaboard, it prompted a couple trains of thought for me:
a) There are some unbelievably talented people out there that have more time to do better reviews than we do – and they are completely unbiased. When FDog first posted the original review – he was clearly one of these people – coming from a research background he has had some incredible insights that have helped us progress and improve the quality of our products.
b) If divers out there enjoy doing these reviews, why not reward them and encourage them to provide feedback to us – clearly they know what the consumer wants, and we want to provide it

This prompted me to do a couple things...the first was to thank FDog. I told him that we would get him a tech skin as soon as they came in – on us. That is the very least that we could do. I did not ask him to do a review on the skin, we were merely thanking him for the great review – we have done this for many key people, instructors, divemasters etc. for the efforts they have put forth for us, and we will continue to do so in the future. It would be incredibly selfish of us to have divers globally supporting us as blatantly as FDog has done, without giving our thanks. Do we have time to do this for every diver that ever posts anything on any of the forums out there? No. But we are very thankful to all those that have posted reviews – positive or negative – as this helps us grow.

The second was to start an R&D group on the Whites thread to harness these ideas – there have been many comments about boots in that thread that have inspired us to work on our boot configuration – soon you’ll see a new system. Thanks to all that have contributed.

I hope this helps, thanks again to all that have contributed.

Until the next dive

Tyler

Last edited:
Agree on the great review, but was wondering about that.

If so, I would hope that would be disclosed. Wouldn't diminish the quality of the review in any way, but should be disclosed. I did note that James is also quoted in the White's banner ad.

So, what of it James? Did you buy the suit and/or skins?

:crafty:
Hey there RJP. A perfectly reasonable question, and one I don't mind answering.

Whites did send me this Tech Skin. I have written reviews on the Fusion drysuit, and the Whites MK3 undergarments, both of which I paid for with my own money.

Actually, I've written a lot of reviews, such as the Dive-Xtras scooter repair class, the X-View CSI scooter, the BnB Power Recorder as well as Medusa Oracle Power Recorder, and a Burn Tester. I paid for all these, too.

In every case I tried very hard to be impartial, report the good with the bad, and generally pass on the information I would want to know.

I have to laugh - the first time a manufacturer sends me something, and I get called on it! Still, I should have mentioned the source of the Skin, an oversight on my part. I don't work for Whites, and don't get paid by them, although Tyler will occasionally deign to take my calls. :D

I've tried very hard to never be nasty, be a positive contributor to the community, and that extends to the reviews, too.

Nice review.

How do you rinse salt water from between the inner and outer layer?
Can you flush all the salt out from between the two layers or do you need to let it soak?

The same question applies to the Lycra skin and which one of the two types of skin is easier to clean and maintain?

I know many dive in fresh water, but that is a big consideration for me. Dried salt crystals will wear on any fabric…I flush the inside of my BC after every diving day.

Thanks
Luis, I am the wierd one - first I flip the Fusion inside out and dry the inside. Then I flip it right side out and climb in (still in my street clothes), and take a shower. I rinse out the space between the Skin and the bladder by pulling the warm neck collar out and letting the water from the shower run inside.

Quick drying and easy rinsing is still a big advantage of the lycra skin.

<snip> (It's almost exactly like putting on pantyhose, which is an analogy that works for the gals but doesn't convey much to you men people :) )
OMG this is waaayyy too much information...

A foldable camp chair and a roll-up foam pad is only $10 at WalMart. And no panty hose visions....

All the best, James Flenner

Again, thank you James. Despite the fact that they sent you the skin, I found your review insightful and fair.

Hey there RJP. A perfectly reasonable question, and one I don't mind answering.

I have to laugh - the first time a manufacturer sends me something, and I get called on it! Still, I should have mentioned the source of the Skin, an oversight on my part. I don't work for Whites, and don't get paid by them, although Tyler will occasionally deign to take my calls. :D

I've tried very hard to never be nasty, be a positive contributor to the community, and that extends to the reviews, too.

I hope you didn't take my question the wrong way. Just wanted to know from a "fair balance" standpoint.

Thanks - Ray

PS - as mentioned in my original post, the review was great and I do appreciate your having taking the time to do it!

Oh, and Jack, I regularly put mine on while leaning on my car, or sitting on the bumper. It's not that difficult, once you get the hang of it. (It's almost exactly like putting on pantyhose, which is an analogy that works for the gals but doesn't convey much to you men people :) )

I prefer fishnet stockings when I dive :rofl3:

Jack

I know a couple of people who have put p-valves in them -- they've just poked a hole in the lycra some way. I don't know anybody who has put one in a tech skin, because I don't know anybody with a tech skin yet.

I see...Yeah, the somewhat "variable" position of the suit over your body makes me wonder about the consistency of the position of the valve. Likely not a problem as long as you have a bit of slack in the tubing.

However, the added variability of the outer skin makes me wonder if you "poked" a hole for the P-valve, the skin can sag at times, and I suppose the hole would move....

I know a couple of people who have put p-valves in them -- they've just poked a hole in the lycra some way. I don't know anybody who has put one in a tech skin, because I don't know anybody with a tech skin yet.
Based on the reviews I have read I broke down and bought one today. The shop will order a tech skin for it tomorrow and I'll put a Pee valve in it as soon as it arrives.

It occurs to me that with a lycra cover, I'd be tempted to just poke a hole in the bladder and let the skin ride over the top of the pee valve as it is porous. I don't think that would work as well with the tech skin so I thin the plan will be to put the whole through both once the skin is situated over the valve. My thoughts are to install it in the mid-upper thigh in the bladder, dive it and then mark the location for the hole in the outer skin where ever it ends up being comfortable on top of the valve.

One tech skin issue I am wondering about is that I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam but had to go with a XXL/XXL to get a suit with enough diamater in the lower legs. That is one of the selling points of the suit - I can get 48" shoulders and muscular calves into a non custom suit without having 4" of extra torso and leg material and 2" of extra arm material left over.

But...it raises a question on the tech skin - would I be better served with a tech skin one size smaller than the bladder? If I go with a XXL/XXXL tech skin will I suddenly end up with the extra torso, leg and arm lenght problem again?

Boot wise size 10's seem to work fine on my high arched size 10 feet with maybe 3/4 inch of toe room in front. I noted however that with the evo boots I will have to take the spring straps off the XXL OMS Slipstreams and put them back on the recently retired XXL Scubapro Jet fins.

According to the size chart, I should be in a L/XL Fusion, but ended up in a 2XL/3XL for leg length. Except for having the leg room I need, I don't otherwise see much difference, as the Fusion pulls all the suit snug.

I first tried the L/XL Tech Skin. I couldn't really get my legs into the suit, when wearing a Mk3 undergarment; so I tried the 2XL/3XL Tech Skin, and it all fit okay, albiet a bit more snuggly than the straight lycra.

So my limited experience points to the same size Tech Skin as the size Fusion. As much as we'd like to mix and match to get something better, it seems that size matching is the way to go.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom