Fun...Or Not So Fundies Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
Yeah, here's a picture of me and my buddies right after watching the videos of ourselves: LINK

All three of you dressed for success in DIR black.

I thought my buddies looked a lot like Larry and Moe. That's when I realized, "Damn, then that makes me Curly"

millphils:
I thought my buddies looked a lot like Larry and Moe. That's when I realized, "Damn, then that makes me Curly"
We had Ren and Stimpy in my DIR-f

Have fun with the DIR/GUE stuff Phil you know where i stand and will continue my path with TDI. I hope you learne what you are looking to achieve, and dont forget that we can still have FUN while diving...

Rob

Awww...Rob posted. I feel so special now. Don't worry, I won't leave ya little buddy.:D
See you this weekend at Day Island.

Phil

DoubleDip:
Now wait a minute Phil, neither Eric nor I have curly red hair, so who exactly is Larry?

That is true, but we all had hoods on.:wink:

Hi Mark50,

Good question. Depending upon the nature of the provisional and geographical challenges, it is not uncommon to have another GUE instructor dive with the student to review the skills in question. This scenario is at the discretion of the original instructor and is not always applicable. GUE remains motivated and sincerely interested in diver education and with that you will find most instructors willing to assist equally motivated students.

Mark

Mark50:
...One question I have is - what is the process for resolving the "provisional" status. I presume you go off and practice the skills that need it but then what. Do you have to go back to that same instructor and demonstrate proficiency. If he lives half way across the country what do you do,.....??? I don't mean to be hung up on "passing" but if your end goal is to go on to Cave I or Tech I you have to pass. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
The unhelpful answer is "it depends." You will have to discuss this with your Fundamentals instructor. As far as I know there is no fixed rule or policy at GUE on how to handle "re-evals." However, this is a situation that comes up constantly, and standard practices have evolved to deal with it. Every GUE Fundamentals instructor I know of will go to great lengths to arrange for re-evaluations, either in person or with another GUE instructor. One common scenario is that the "provisionals" from a previous class go on a check-out dive with the instructor at a later Fundies class. I have never heard of any Fundies instructors charging an additional fee for the re-evaluations, even for students they did not originally teach, but again, this is something that should be discussed with the instructor(s) to get the real answer.

WJL:
The unhelpful answer is "it depends." You will have to discuss this with your Fundamentals instructor. As far as I know there is no fixed rule or policy at GUE on how to handle "re-evals." However, this is a situation that comes up constantly, and standard practices have evolved to deal with it. Every GUE Fundamentals instructor I know of will go to great lengths to arrange for re-evaluations, either in person or with another GUE instructor. One common scenario is that the "provisionals" from a previous class go on a check-out dive with the instructor at a later Fundies class. I have never heard of any Fundies instructors charging an additional fee for the re-evaluations, even for students they did not originally teach, but again, this is something that should be discussed with the instructor(s) to get the real answer.

I have been told that the provisional is good for 6 months, if you don't upgrade your certification to pass in that time you have to take the class again. I think it is here:
http://www.gue.com/Training/Standards/GUE_Standards_2003v2a.pdf
section 1.3.2
HTH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom