Repair Reviews for KME Auburn, WA? KME or Back to the Factory?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can anyone give me a user/repair review for KME drysuit repair co. in Auburn, WA
(near Tacoma/Seattle). I'm looking at a Diving Concepts Neo Z zipper repair. (Most likely a replacement).
I thought I might try them if they were a lot faster (and as good a quality repair)
than the Diving Concepts Factory repair.

On the phone they seemed perhaps a little "spacey"...

Any info a.s.a.p. would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

I had them put a pair of boots on my old suit. It was all sort of old school and the guy who runs it is really getting on in years. I think they mainly do commercial work. The repair is fine, just doesn't look very good.

I would send it in and get it done by the factory, personally.

Jack

I've had several things done by KME. The kneepads they put on my trilam suit work fine, but they look worse than if I had done it myself. They were unable to find or fix the crotch seam leak in that suit. Superior Diving Repair did find one leak and fix it, although they didn't find the little one, either. KME's turnaround time was about three weeks on each of the three times I used them.

Can anyone give me a user/repair review for KME drysuit repair co. in Auburn, WA
(near Tacoma/Seattle).
Thanks, Jim

Stay away. Stay far, far away.

A couple of years ago, I sent my Andy's DS2 in for a new zipper...I tore it in pre-Thanksgiving dive. A month later, I called them, and I asked "where's my suit?" They answered, "what suit?"

Long story short, they found it, replaced the zipper, and returned it to me - around Valentine's Day, almost three months later...and those idiots put the zipper in upside down (zipping bottom to top). With the way the outside protective zipper's made on that suit, there's no way they could've even pressure tested their work, as the zipper can't close all the way in that configuration, as the overzipper end blocks the dry zip.

So, I sent it back to get it fixed the right way - two weeks later it came back with the zipper actually installed properly. They did a really, really poor job - poor sewing, and a poor remove/replace operation that _seriously_ weakened the trilam fabric which attached the zipper to the suit. I got about another 150 dives or so before the replacement zipper started _tearing_ out of the trilam material, and not at a particularly high stress point.

The worst part is that they had the guts to charge me full price for their incompetence and held the suit hostage until I paid.

Friends don't let friends use those guys. Use someone reliable - either Superior Drysuit Repair, up in Minnesota, who's done my work ever since and is awesome, or Steve Gamble, down in Florida, who's done work for friends and is top notch.

Wow! What a nightmare Camerone! I got that "cloudy-maybe not..." feeling just from speaking with them on the phone! Nobody seemed to know nuthin' 'bout nuthin' no how...
I'm so sorry that you went through that and really appreciate your warning me off.

Jack and TS&M, thanks for your quick responses too. Lynne, I remember your telling me about your frustrations with the leaks in your old suit, I didn't realize it had been through KME's shop.

I talked with my LDS today and the factory repair turns out to be far more reasonable ($270) than I'd though/had been told in the past ($350-450) so I guess it'll go back to Diving Concepts tomorrow.
I thought about Steve Gamble and Superior, but the turnaround time will be about the same and this instance seemed like a good situation to have my LDS in the mix.

I got some responses over on TDS as well and it sounds like KME at one time had some good
people but they've all moved on to other places/jobs. Jack, the "old guy", Jim, wasn't even in when I called so I think you've hit the nail on the head about that situation.

Wish there was somewhere local/regionally who did excellent zipper replacements but for now it
sounds like it's a factory job.

Man it's going to be a long 3 weeks though! I wish I could afford a
second suit. I decided to stick with the conical seals I already have
as the bottle seals (wrist) and bellow (neck) seemed more prone to
catching/tearing on rocks, etc. Any thoughts?
I also considered the HD YKK zipper but my shop said that they really didn't think it was
necessary as there had been no teeth damage, just backing tape/fraying and that seeing as I solo dive sometimes, it would so much stiffer that I'd likely have a greater chance of damaging the HD zipper tape self donning without assistance. Any opinions before it goes out in the UPS truck tomorrow?

Thank you all. I appreciate your saving me any more grief than I've already got!!!

Jim

I have to say, I absolutely and utterly LOVE my neoprene neck seal. Much less fragile, warmer, doesn't leak, very comfortable. One of my only disappointments with the Fusion was that it wasn't available with a neoprene neck seal, but I'm hoping when this latex one fails (as they all do with me) I'll be able to change it over.

Gratefuldiver from here in wa, posted about having a new repair company, Pm him, Im sure he would fill you in on the repair shop.

Lynne, do your latex seals fail earlier than a year or so? I've been told at my LDS that's the usual life expectancy although I've gone almost two. They're probably still good but they're just beginning to get a teeny bit sticky so I'm replacing them.
Wish I could have gone longer on my zipper! (Most likely my fault though...) I was told by my dealer that the "average life span for zippers is 150 dives and that's the usual maximum they see with rentals if even that many. I hadn't heard or read that before. Hopefully with ammended zipping behavior on my part I can go to 200-150 anyway on the replacement.

I want to rent a neoprene seal suit sometime and see if I'd like them. Most reports I've read and gotten in person have said that they seep a little on most dives but you and a few others have experienced no leaks so I'd like to check them out. Didn't have the faith/courage to have them put on my suit as replacements this time without trying them lst.

Do you happen to know of a local zipper repair shop that Bob's discovered/mentioned by voodoogasman (thanks by the way)? If Bob doesn't happen to see this thread, I'll send him a PM eventually and ask him directly.

In the meantime my suit's (hopefully) on it's way to D.C.

Lynne, do your latex seals fail earlier than a year or so? I've been told at my LDS that's the usual life expectancy although I've gone almost two. They're probably still good but they're just beginning to get a teeny bit sticky so I'm replacing them.
Wish I could have gone longer on my zipper! (Most likely my fault though...) I was told by my dealer that the "average life span for zippers is 150 dives and that's the

That's sounds a little short.

I'm going on three years with a latex neck seal and it's still looks like new. I don't use baby power, cornstarch, KY or anything else. It's cut loose enough that I just stick my head through and go diving.

All I do is keep it clean and dry and out of the sun between dives.

Terry

I seem to get about 50 dives on a latex neck seal. I don't know why. I don't use perfumes or lotions, don't use any kind of lube on the seal to get it on and off, and on one of them, I was absolutely meticulous about wiping the seal down with a dilute detergent solution after EVERY dive. Didn't seem to make a bit of difference. I've decided I have caustic skin oil or something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom