Repair a BC dump valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skippy311

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My BC dump valve was torn out and now needs to be replaced.

1. how to clean the dump valve site?
2. how to install the valve?
3. how to seal it?
4. how to check it?

Much obliged

Attachments

• 1588686494079-1.jpg
    1588686494079-1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 188
  • 1588686494079-2.jpg
    1588686494079-2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 1588686494079-3.jpg
    1588686494079-3.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 186
  • 1588686494079-0.jpg
    1588686494079-0.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 182
It looks like the connector has come loose from the bladder do to age and becoming brittle. Many BCD manufacturers do not consider this repairable.

If that BCD has an internal bladder that is still available there may be some hope.

It looks like the connector has come loose from the bladder do to age and becoming brittle. Many BCD manufacturers do not consider this repairable.

If that BCD has an internal bladder that is still available there may be some hope.
boat repair was probably done, might be able to do a transplant? right to repair is important

The pictures appear to be at least two different BCs, with both the rear dump and the inflator elbow broken. By my count, that's three broken valves. Is this a common issue for you? How hard are you pulling on the dump? :poke:

Seriously though, how did all of these break? If it's abuse, then that's its own story. I'd be comfortable repairing something if it was accidentally broken by an overzealous dive buddy, or a garage accident or something. If it's just due to age and fatigue, I'd personally buy a new BC rather than risk other failures that may be just barely holding together, especially if you're not sure how to test a repaired dump valve. My intention isn't to be rude with that statement, just pointing out a piece of equipment that's seen one failure due to age or general fatigue is likely not far from seeing more failures for the same reason. If you're not able to confidently inspect for "looks suspect," then it's time to junk it and start fresh. Finding something that already failed is easy. Finding something that's about to fail is more challenging, and arguably more critical.

Edit: typo

search the brand and model + "replacement bladder" to even see if there is one. I'm not overly optimistic...

Keep in mind, if it doesn't have a zippered access, you are opening sewn seams, and then re-sewing the shell.

The pictures appear to be at least two different BCs, with both the rear dump and the inflator elbow broken. By my count, that's three broken valves. Is this a common issue for you? How hard are you pulling on the dump? :poke:

Seriously though, how did all of these break? If it's abuse, then that's its own story. I'd be comfortable repairing something if it was accidentally broken by an overzealous dive buddy, or a garage accident or something. If it's just due to age and fatigue, I'd personally buy a new BC rather than risk other failures that may be just barely holding together, especially if you're not sure how to test a repaired dump valve. My intention isn't to be rude with that statement, just pointing out a piece of equipment that's seen one failure due to age or general fatigue is likely not far from seeing more failures for the same reason. If you're not able to confidently inspect for "looks suspect," then it's time to junk it and start fresh. Finding something that already failed is easy. Finding something that's about to fail is more challenging, and arguably more critical.

Edit: typo
second hand from a diver who retired from age and trauma

Looking at that last picture, the internal bladder is brittle and has crumbled. Probably stored near high heat, like in a boiler room.

Like others, I would scrap and start again.

The cam straps and D rings may be useful though.

Thanks for the advice! Will keep you posted about what happens :)

Back
Top Bottom