Renting 30cu ft or 40 cu ft pony longer-term

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terramar

Registered
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’ll be in Bonaire for 3.5 months and I like to have a redundant air source with me.

Anybody know where’s the best place to rent a 30 or 40 cuff pony tank? I can bring an reg and a sling, or could rent a package.

I’m wondering whether the cost would make it worth buying one and bringing it along.

Slightly off topic to your question, I have a 19cf and 30cf pony bottles. When traveling it's always the 19cf pony that goes with me as it easily fits in the checked luggage and is considerably lighter than the larger bottle, and weight limits are usually a factor. I've done enough research to know that for all practical purposes a 19cf will get me to the surface from any recreational depth and I'm comfortable with it. Perhaps if I was 30 feet inside a wreck at 130' it would be a bit tight but I'll risk that scenario in exchange for the comfort and convenience of the smaller tank that is more likely to be with me than in the garage.

Consider the smaller bottle.

If I take it with me, I’ll take a 19. If I can get one there, I‘d be happier with more air. And I tend to prefer the balance with a 40. Unfortunately, I’m only finding rental prices in the range of $9-18 per day, which is a bit much for a long stay.

What about shipping one there? Perhaps sell it there when done? Just a crazy idea...

I almost always bring an Al40 with me to Bonaire, even if I am just staying a week. I don’t have to worry about returning the tank and it pays for itself after a few trips.

The other thing that you could do is dive independent backmount doubles with a pair of AL53s or AL63s if you use a plate and wing. That would give you extra gas and redundancy. If you have an unlimited gas package it would not cost you anything extra.

I do dive a backplate and wing. My back is not fond of doubles on shore dives, but maybe al53 or 63s would be okay. That’s a good thought.

Anyone know if the Buddy Dive tank cards support the smaller dice tanks or do they only have 80s?

I do dive a backplate and wing. My back is not fond of doubles on shore dives, but maybe al53 or 63s would be okay. That’s a good thought.

Anyone know if the Buddy Dive tank cards support the smaller dice tanks or do they only have 80s?
BD has AL63s. They are not quite 5 lbs lighter than a AL 80.

To each his own, but I agree with your analysis that doubles of any size are too cumbersome for shore dives, particularly where the entries are tricky and the surge is up.

The other alternative of the pony is generally more manageable, but for 3 months, renting would be almost certainly more expensive than bringing one down or even buying one here. If you have a 19 cu ft and have room (and weight allowance) to fit into your checked luggage, that would be an ideal solution, if you are comfortable with that size. I solo dive with a "bailout bottle" smaller than that, despite that other divers think larger is necessary. Then again, 90 percent of Bonaire divers have single tanks alone!

But whatever trade off of weight, physical size and cost works best for you would be fine...

For a 3.5 month trip, I would buy my own tanks and use BHM for fills. If you dive regularly, you would save a ton of money over a fill card.

Reactions: agd
To each his own, but I agree with your analysis that doubles of any size are too cumbersome for shore dives, particularly where the entries are tricky and the surge is up.

The other alternative of the pony is generally more manageable, but for 3 months, renting would be almost certainly more expensive than bringing one down or even buying one here. If you have a 19 cu ft and have room (and weight allowance) to fit into your checked luggage, that would be an ideal solution, if you are comfortable with that size. I solo dive with a "bailout bottle" smaller than that, despite that other divers think larger is necessary. Then again, 90 percent of Bonaire divers have single tanks alone!

But whatever trade off of weight, physical size and cost works best for you would be fine...
I’ve decided to bring my 19cu ft pony. I can always sling something larger if needed for a specific dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom