Rental gear at Captain Don's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chicagofish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The closer I get to my Bonaire trip, the more unpleasant reviews I find online...prompting me to ask you, the experts, once again...

I'm renting everything but mask/fins/boots/wetsuit. Now I'm finding bad reviews of Captain Don's gear. I'm not in a position to buy my own gear so I rely heavily on rentals. I know, I know, my safety, my life, etc...but for now, it's rent or don't dive.

Should I rent at home and travel with rented gear I trust (and pay to bring extra luggage) or risk the gear at Captain Don's? Or maybe just rent from somewhere else on Bonaire??

So nervous...

-Amanda

Have to agree with Jim, what and where have you heard it? It's often times hard to sort out the BS from the facts on the internet. CDs has been around for a long time but if you are really worried, Buddy Dive is just next door and Wannadivebonaire is about 4 doors down. Both have solid and well deserved reps and you can easily rent from them.

Thank you. I just found a few random posts on hotel review sites. I didn't want to believe that such a reputable place could have bad gear. I mean, even my LDS has stuck me with a bad reg, but it happens...not like I'd never go back. Also I'm a safe enough diver to determine the problems *before* I'm 80 ft down...

I must say I have never heard that previously. I haven't made it down to Bonaire yet, but based on his high regard on the message boards that I frequent, when I do go I had planned to head to Capt Don's.

As Jim said, he has been around a while; hard to do that in a place as competitive as Bonaire if you have poor gear.

You will find that 99% of the bad reviews are from horses rears that are never happy. A particular ex member comes to mind. Hated Bonaire and constantly posted how bad it was...trouble is he had been there once, never left the resort and did not have any issues while there but to hear him tell it, you were mugged every 5 minutes. He was insistent that folks like me who had been there many times all had a monetary interest in the island so we were all telling lies...

Anyway, I would not worry about CD's and if you do Buddy or WDB are great. Besides, there is no need to go deep on Bonaire so even if you have issues, aborting a 30 ft dive is nothing.
If you want a site with a lot better chance of getting good first hand info, try the folks at Bonaire Talk. www.boniaretalk.com

Aside from the particularly ratty, insolent and insulting woman in charge of gear and weights, you should have no problem with Captain Dons. The gear there is fine. You'll have no problems. I've been there twice. Only problem is getting past her. I think that her son Chris was/is a DM there. I still have a vivid image of that cigarette hanging from her lip.

The closer I get to my Bonaire trip, the more unpleasant reviews I find online...
Should I rent at home and travel with rented gear I trust (and pay to bring extra luggage) or risk the gear at Captain Don's? Or maybe just rent from somewhere else on Bonaire??

So nervous...

-Amanda
Amanda..Simply put, you're gonna love it! Absolutely no need to rent equipment at home & haul down to Bonaire. Although I have my own equipment on island, I would not have any hesitation at all with renting equipment down there. Get off the internet and look forward to an enjoyable trip with some great diving, food and meeting other folks. :wink:

I was in Bonaire in August and rented gear and dove with Captain Don's. The rental BC's do not have integrated weights, and they don't like you to put weights in the pockets either, so you have to use a weight belt. Their equipment is not new but I assume they service it regularly. The BC's run two sizes too large so try one on before you exit the dive shop. Wannadive has brand new equipment and is a fairly short walk down the road, especially if you cut through Buddy's, but I don't know if they will rent to you if you are not diving with them.

Back
Top Bottom