Rental computers and newer divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And the part of it all that led you to believe they'll let you attach your transmitter to their regs is?

They may say no also to the possibility of attaching your pressure sensor/transmitters to their first stages as well.
True, and expect they would, however, I would still be using my own computer with which I am familiar, and would only lose the gas consumption data.

I wouldn't be too sure about that: it's just as likely that he didn't look, knowing that he wasn't going to exceed the NDL on that dive, and then was "puzzled looking at his computer" that computed him mandatory deco.
Which is also scary as **** that someone wouldn't consult their computer at all during a dive.

Which is also scary as **** that someone wouldn't consult their computer at all during a dive.

🤷 I've been on the dives where the briefing included "recommend leaving your computers topside because all you'll get there is muck in the sensor openings" -- not that dive in question here sounds like one of those. Also, just imagine all those scary people who dived tables and didn't die.

Also, just imagine all those scary people who dived tables and didn't die.
I was not around when people were actually diving tables. I only started diving in the late 1990s. Like many other divers over the next decade and even now, I was trained to use the tables, but when I started doing the DM-led dives in Cozumel, I learned on the first dive that they were worthless for multi-level diving. I bought a computer as soon as I could, and I struggled through the nearly incomprehensible manual to understand how to use it. My attempt to use it after my first Cozumel dive remains to this day the only time I have seen anyone use tables outside of training dives.

What went on for the most part since then was students being trained to use tables, with only the briefest references during training about computers. Then students would go out and find out that in the real world, people were using computers, about which they knew next to nothing.

🤷 I've been on the dives where the briefing included "recommend leaving your computers topside because all you'll get there is much in the sensor openings" -- not that dive in question here sounds like one of those. Also, just imagine all those scary people who dived tables and didn't die.

Now I am stalking you

I always use the 120 rule and I’m not dead 😵

:banghead: "Muck". It was supposed to be "muck in the sensor openings". I can't type, either.

Is that 30-90, 60-60, 90-30, generally good for dive one. Rather sketchy there after.

Also, just imagine all those scary people who dived tables and didn't die.
Most computers and tables are based on the same algorithms, the tables are precalculated for square profiles, a particular case of the computer that uses the same algorithm but recalculates for depth changes, a more general case.

Now I am stalking you

I always use the 120 rule and I’m not dead 😵
Do you use that on all dives? Even 2nd and 3rd dives? What do you do for surface intervals?

Relying on a computer you don't know how to operate or read is worse than no computer at all. If you don't have a computer or don't understand the one you're wearing stay above your divemaster up until the safety stop. I think a computer should be the first piece of SCUBA equipment a person should buy and become proficient with
When I started diving all we had were tables. I was happy to give them up..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom