Rental Car Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am assuming that you are familiar with the local driving customs but, just one note on turning left off Highway 307 into Akumal. DON'T do it, exit to the right then cross 307. That is what the locals expect you to do, so it is much safer.

Things have changed there regarding Hwy 307 and the left hand turn to Akumal. You now go past the Akumal turn, about 200 yards, there is a 'returno' iin the center lane of the road. Stop and the stop sign, then do your 'U turn'. Use the 'returno' as you cannot turn left there anymore. The 'returno' is at the entrance to the Akumal Beach Resort. You just have to double back a couple of 100 yards to turn right into Akumal. Easy Smeasy.

I actually stayed in Zona Hotelera in Cancun at the Marriott Casamagna. There was a car rental place in the hotel. I think it was $65 a day. I only needed it for one day to go to Tulum and Cozumel. Worked out great.

Things have changed there regarding Hwy 307 and the left hand turn to Akumal. You now go past the Akumal turn, about 200 yards, there is a 'returno' iin the center lane of the road. Stop and the stop sign, then do your 'U turn'. Use the 'returno' as you cannot turn left there anymore. The 'returno' is at the entrance to the Akumal Beach Resort. You just have to double back a couple of 100 yards to turn right into Akumal. Easy Smeasy.

I knew that they were working on 307 south of Calica when we were there in '06, but didn't know the plans or schedules. In Mexico, evidence of construction in no way means that progress is being made. Good to know about the returno, crossing the highway to get into Akumal was scary. Have they expanded the highway to four lanes south of Calica all the way to Tulum yet?

I knew that they were working on 307 south of Calica when we were there in '06, but didn't know the plans or schedules. In Mexico, evidence of construction in no way means that progress is being made. Good to know about the returno, crossing the highway to get into Akumal was scary. Have they expanded the highway to four lanes south of Calica all the way to Tulum yet?

There are many (many) new retornos this year, mostly for good but slightly annoying as you have to double back a lot.

The divided freeway I think makes it all the way to chemiuyl (however you spell that)
Not to Tulum but I think they will make it eventually!

The retornos are better than waiting to dash across the highway! We always had our parking brake on while waiting for our chance just in case someone rear ended us. One of the little "local rules" for driving I picked up over the years.

The retornos are better than waiting to dash across the highway! We always had our parking brake on while waiting for our chance just in case someone rear ended us. One of the little "local rules" for driving I picked up over the years.

Well, you dont need to stop in the fwy -- just pull off to the right and wait for the mad dash!

But yes, they are safer for sure.

I arrived in Cancun airport Thursday 12/6 and walked up to the first car rental place (there are several in a row) and asked how much for a compact car for 7 days. They said $200 US, which includes everything. Your guess is as good as mine as what they mean by everything. I was staying at an all-inclusive and wondering it if would be worth the money to rent rather then use the colectivo or a taxi to do off premise diving.

You guys can rent a car for 200 USD a week, but you're still looking for a bargain??! Holy... That's CHEAP! :D

the visa thing is correct. however, if you have any kind of accident mexican police will not let you go with credit card insurance. you will have to settle everything before you can leave. with insurance from the car rental that's not the case. most "experienced" mexican travellers will tell you that they buy full insurance although their credit card company provides coverage. i used to go with the credit card insurance but switched camps after hearing some horror stories.

beware , as this is true!
if you can drive in L.A. , Chicago, San Francisco or New York - then you can drive in the Riviera Maya...
try Easyway Car Rental... they will pick you up at the airport, and are cheaper, as they don't pay airport taxes...we have used them twice, and no worries.last time, our flight was over an hour late, and arrived at the wrong terminal. we called on arrival, and they were there in 15 minutes...

I rented from Executive Car Rental while in Cozumel. According to their website, Executive Car Rental Cancun Mexico, they have a rental office at Cancun International Airport. I recommend renting at the airport so you also drop it off at the airport on your way home.

As for insurance, I too have a VISA that provides full coverage car rental insurance but for some peace-of-mind and after reading several stuff about running into an accident in Mexico and Mexican car insurance, I just decided to spend the few extra $$ for full coverage. At least, when you run into an accident, you don't have to scramble to pay out the damages and then have to worry about claiming it when you fly back home. Just a hassle.

Have a nice trip! Akumal is one of my favorite places in the Yucatan-Costa Maya area.

Cheers,

Philbert (bisugo767)

My wife and I are flying into Cancun and staying in Akumal for eight nights in March. We plan on visiting a number of the ruins and checking out the area in general, when not diving of course. :wink:

We get into Cancun at 4:00 and would need to go through the usual process at the airport before we would get a rental car or grab a hotel transfer. So which is better, renting a car at the airport for the full duration of the trip or getting a one way shuttle trip upon arrival to the hotel and renting a car in Akumal for the rest of the trip? By better, I mean easier or less expensive.

Any favorite rental company name that you mention would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom