Rental Car Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mexico driving - topes - Mexican speedbumps

Oh, another thing of warning if you have not driven around Mexico before, watch out for those crazy Topes or speed bumps. They are not like the regular North American speed bumps. These bumps will really require you to slow down and go over them in a tip toe manner unless you want to wreck your suspension.

Things have changed there regarding Hwy 307 and the left hand turn to Akumal. You now go past the Akumal turn, about 200 yards, there is a 'returno' iin the center lane of the road. Stop and the stop sign, then do your 'U turn'. Use the 'returno' as you cannot turn left there anymore. The 'returno' is at the entrance to the Akumal Beach Resort. You just have to double back a couple of 100 yards to turn right into Akumal. Easy Smeasy.

Well, you dont need to stop in the fwy -- just pull off to the right and wait for the mad dash!

But yes, they are safer for sure.

At the intersection of 307 and the road into Akumal, you used to exit right and then make the mad dash. You also got a lot of drunks coming down hill from the Pueblito. Occasionally, they will bump you into the highway. The parking brake rule I learned from our favorite cab driver. I know all about the local rule for pulling to the right to make a left turn and the various meanings of a left turn signal. My favorite is placing rocks in the road to signal that there is a hazard ahead.

bisugo767,

You are so right! Topes, they will ruin your day! Just to make it more interesting, in Playacar, they are not raised but sunken into the road. It's the little differences that really let you know you are not in Kansas anymore.

Driftwood,

Yeah, I know those very nice bumpy Topes in Playacar... 100% sure to make you step on the brakes! LOL!!:D

Phil (bisugo767)

At the intersection of 307 and the road into Akumal, you used to exit right and then make the mad dash. You also got a lot of drunks coming down hill from the Pueblito. Occasionally, they will bump you into the highway. The parking brake rule I learned from our favorite cab driver. I know all about the local rule for pulling to the right to make a left turn and the various meanings of a left turn signal. My favorite is placing rocks in the road to signal that there is a hazard ahead.

bisugo767,

You are so right! Topes, they will ruin your day! Just to make it more interesting, in Playacar, they are not raised but sunken into the road. It's the little differences that really let you know you are not in Kansas anymore.

Thanks everyone for your advice. We ended up renting a car through National Car Rental. We booked it on line and will pick it up at the airport to use for the entire trip. The cost was $175 with taxes for eight days.

We got some serious air off the tope closest to Akumal. Had no idea it was there and BAM hit it, it was huge (1 foot high with a flat top on it). We had full coverage from the rental car company but no damage to the car on that trip.

We got some serious air off the tope closest to Akumal. Had no idea it was there and BAM hit it, it was huge (1 foot high with a flat top on it). We had full coverage from the rental car company but no damage to the car on that trip.

The nastiest ones I have found are on the road from Tulum to Coba. At each end of the little villages along the road there are the mother of all topes. One way or another you will not be speeding through town.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom