Rental Car -Collision/Damage Waiver Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If a well regarded car rental agency would do this, how many others have just pocketed the insurance money with the hopes that the renter would not be in an accident? This scares the heck out of me. I am thinking it might be better off to use the taxis for trips back and forth to town, beach clubs, and even the other side of the island.

Taxis get into accidents, too. Anyone have experience in how well those claims are handled?

Taxis get into accidents, too. Anyone have experience in how well those claims are handled?
Taxi claims for what? Outside of US, one always needs one's own coverage for medical and accident. DAN's top dive insurance plan has $10,000 accident and the Trip insurance I use has significant protection. I doubt that you'd get anything out of anyone in a Taxi wreck.

If a well regarded car rental agency would do this, how many others have just pocketed the insurance money with the hopes that the renter would not be in an accident? This scares the heck out of me. I am thinking it might be better off to use the taxis for trips back and forth to town, beach clubs, and even the other side of the island.

It is a locally (American owned) independent rental company. It is not one of the internationally recognized chains - so I would venture to say that it's still safe to rent from places like AVIS, Hertz, Executive, Dollar, etc.

I would also like to go ahead and confirm that this IS NOT Rentadora ISIS - in case anyone is speculating (I got a PM asking if it was them). I do know more than one person that has rented form ISIS and been involved in an accident, and the owners were more then helpful and handled everything very promptly and professionally. So, I will still highly recommend ISIS as well.

Reef Hound - those with legitimate insurance have good luck with having claims resolved quickly and without hassle. A few years ago, my truck was hit in front of my house by a woman that ran a stop sign and broadsided another car - which pushed the other vehicle over 50 yards and into my truck. My truck was repaired at the Chevy dealership within two weeks and paid 100% by the other parties insurance - so all hope is not lost - this particular co. that Jenn is dealing with is just a very bad apple that tried to cut corners at the expense of renters safety and finances.

TRUST this opinion based on personal experience. Get the best coverage you possibly can but be aware of insurance fraud where they take the insurance money you paid them and just pocket it. They count on the odds that you will not get in an accident. Worse yet, if you do have an accident, you will pay the high deductible and they will pocket that too and then tell you to go to hell when it's time to make a claim or someone gets injured.

I was involved in a Jeep accident in Cozumel 12 days ago. I was sitting in the back of a rental Jeep (behind the driver) when we were broadsided. I took most of the hit and split my head open and was in the hospital for 3 days.

I will be posting about this in the next day or two but I have been royally screwed by this car rental company... and this is a company I have used many times in the past and to whom I refer business to.

For now, all I can say is: "Trust me, it is not worth it just to save a few dollars!"

Ditto here, we were in an accident several years ago on Coz. There was a mix up between the guy that rented the car to us and me and we only ended up with the liability insurance.

I ended up spending the entire day, basically under arrest, at the police station until we finally got things cleared up AND costing me a couple grand, which I was told we got off easy.

If our paper work would have been in order, showing we had the full coverage, we could have literally just walked away from the accident with no hassles, after showing it to the police.

Get the full coverage from the car rental place...it's well worth it.

It would be nice if the rental forms were available for examination online, and translation, so we could study for the test.

I would also like to go ahead and confirm that this IS NOT Rentadora ISIS - in case anyone is speculating (I got a PM asking if it was them). I do know more than one person that has rented form ISIS and been involved in an accident, and the owners were more then helpful and handled everything very promptly and professionally. So, I will still highly recommend ISIS as well.

Glad to definitely know that it isn't ISIS. I was wondering if it was even though it sure didn't seem like that would be something ISIS would do.

We normally book 2 cars when we go and will be there next week, so this is very timely for us. I do wish someone would post whom NOT to use so we dont make the same mistake.

Im sorry Jen is going through the pain but am eager to hear whom not to use in the future for rentals.

And just to get this straight, should we use our CC insurance or should we pay for theirs and make sure we have it in writing before we leave that we do in fact have their insurance?

(I am fluent in both english and spanish)

We have rented cars from the place just outside of the airport as Hertz often charged too much. Last time we were able to haggle them down to nearly the same price as the offsite rentals. Being that we are 5 and all have our own gear, we normally need 2 cars.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom