Renewing DOT tank exemptions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oxyhacker

Reaction score
Since the PST scare some weeks ago we have been researching what is involved in renewing the exemption on a DOT exemption tank like PST E9791s should the manufacturer should fail to do so.

It was mentioned in the PST thread that a procedure exists by which an individual could apply for an exemption on a tank if the manufacturer for some reason didn't, but it was not clear at the time whether this would be feasible for anyone without his or her own legal dept.

From what we have found, it appears to be surprisingly easy. There are apparently two kinds of exemptions, one for manufacturing the tanks, and another for just using them, which is intended for just this purpose, to allow someone to go on using tanks if the manufacture orphans them. Getting the latter turns out to be straightforward since the renewal application can ride on the back of the original manufacturer's exemption application, so that no new engineering is necessary. Basically, I was told, all that would be necessary is for someone to write the DOT once the manfacturer failed to renew the exemption, and request that a "to use" exemption renewal be granted in the person's name.

The exemption granted would only cover tanks belonging to the person or business to whom the exemption was granted, but anyone else could become party to the exemption by simply writing the DOT and asking. Actually, I wonder how necessary this would be - I suspect that most shops (those that were even aware of the issue, that is, and I doubt many are) would go on filling these tanks for all comers once word of the renewal got out, without checking to find out whether they were parties to the renewal.

So there doesn't seem to be any reason to avoid exemption tanks, or worry about their future. If PST (or any other exemption tank manufacturer) should go under, someone will almost certainly obtain a renewal for their exemption tanks (the reason we got into this in the first place was we were wanted to be ready to renew the exemption if PST had gone under) and everyone else could become party to it.

My question on the whole exemption issue is would the renewel be required to continue filling the tanks or would it be required only when the tank needed to be hydrotested?

Typical government inefficiency!!! Instead of having a policy where they automatically issue a user exemption for all tanks produced with the manufacturing exemption, they would rather staff a building and pay rent on a building to field phone calls and issue piles of paperwork so that each individual PST E-series owner would have their own paperwork. I suppose they wouldn't increase staffing, the lines would just be long. Ridiculous, but I am glad the option exists.

oxyhacker:
From what we have found, it appears to be surprisingly easy. There are apparently two kinds of exemptions, one for manufacturing the tanks, and another for just using them, which is intended for just this purpose, to allow someone to go on using tanks if the manufacture orphans them. Getting the latter turns out to be straightforward since the renewal application can ride on the back of the original manufacturer's exemption application, so that no new engineering is necessary. Basically, I was told, all that would be necessary is for someone to write the DOT once the manfacturer failed to renew the exemption, and request that a "to use" exemption renewal be granted in the person's name.

Good job and good news.

Do you know the specific regulations code that address this issue?

One of the requirements of an exempt cylinder is that each fill station MUST have a copy on site to legally fill the cylinder.

Leadking:
One of the requirements of an exempt cylinder is that each fill station MUST have a copy on site to legally fill the cylinder.

What legal requirement is that?
Federal? State? Local?

John

jdh:
What is your opinion of the second paragraph of the linked document?

http://www.text-trieve.com/pdffiles/06977.pdf

John
I know you weren't asking me, but I think it's essentially irrelevant outside the cloistered halls of the DOT. In the rest of the world, the simple fact remains that most shops aren't interested in looking for technical legal loopholes that might allow them to avoid/alter procedures that they are mostly happy with. Most shops aren't going to fill your tanks unless they are confident that; (a) the shop isn't going to incur some special liability by doing so, and; (b) that the tanks aren't going to blow up in their faces.

You're going to have a hard time getting traction with the argument that the law doesn't apply - the shops don't care if it applies, so long as it makes sense and helps ease their liability concerns. With your own compressor, you can do anything.

Back
Top Bottom