Removing the SPG from a console (Tusa SC-251)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uniqueloginname

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello! I am talking about this console.

I removed the computer (IQ-650) puck from the console and put it in a wrist boot. Ideally, I'd like to also remove the SPG, so that it is streamlined, and I don't have the extra drag of a half-empty console.

Does anyone know how I would get the SPG out? Being attached to the hose, it's not as simple as the computer. At a guess, I would pull it out part way in the same way as the puck, and then unbolt it from the hose in order to be able to completely remove it.

I'd rather not destroy the console in the process in case I want to put the components back in the future, so I thought I'd ask first.

I'd appreciate any advice.. thanks!

I assume you just want to remove the boot - and not the entire SPG. You'll have to remove the SPG from the first stage and use a screwdriver to pry off the boot. Not sure if it's plastic or a metal housing, you may want to replace it with a single console boot. Then replace the SPG to the first stage.

Thank you Scubanoobi, yes I want to keep using the SPG, just without the double housing/boot. The SPG body is plastic. I didn't think of needing a single boot to cover it.

Soak the whole thing in warm soapy water for a few mins. The rubber will be more flexible and the soap will lube it.

I assume you just want to remove the boot - and not the entire SPG. You'll have to remove the SPG from the first stage and use a screwdriver to pry off the boot. Not sure if it's plastic or a metal housing, you may want to replace it with a single console boot. Then replace the SPG to the first stage.

Do not use a screw driver there is no need and you will just mar the plastic. Nor is there any need to remove it from the first stage.

Soak the spg/boot in warm water. From the back side of the boot push the spg out of the boot. This can be a bit of work - but the warm water should help. Once out pull the SPG away from the boot. Using two wrenches remove the SPG from the hose. Pull the hose out of the boot. Reattach the SPG.

If you want to put a single boot on the SPG you may be able to push the HP hose but often it is easier to do with a tool like this one:

Hose Protector Installation Tool

Again, warm water will help make the boot more flexible.

Have you thought of just using the SPG ' naked'.......Cave divers use that set up, it's more streamlined....Go to Divegearexpress.com they have pics.........

Thanks for the info all. I have since discovered that having the SPG naked or in a boot is a bit of controversial topic! The entire console (SPG and computer) cost $200, the computer is worth that alone (at least here in Australia), so I am tempted to take my chances with the SPG naked... I'll see if I can find a boot cheap enough.

Have not used a boot on my SPG for probably 2,000 dives and have never had a problem.

Can we buy 'std' size boot for a single spg?

I do not see any where selling just the boot itself

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom