Removing items from the USS Oriskany (interesting dilemma)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sure you will punderstand, but I see myself more as a diving pundit. :D At least I am not some sort of diving punk who steals for giggles. Yes, the horse hockey only depuns. Now get back to the point of this thread before they ripun!

i think he's pun-ch drunk, folks

:wink:

I was thinking about this last night and realized we were approaching it all wrong. The real point is not jurisdiction, it is that the Oriskany is the property of the state of Florida. As such it's absolutely their right to determine how the public can use it, no matter where it is located. Arguing otherwise it equivalent to stating that anyone can take legally take the stereo out of any U.S. licensed cars parked in Canada.

The only question is whether Florida cops could arrest you on site or whether they have to wait until you cross a line x miles from shore to pick you up. The USCG could certainly report the activities to FL and even follow the boat in.

In other words... What Uncle Ricky said.

lowwall:
I was thinking about this last night and realized we were approaching it all wrong. The real point is not jurisdiction, it is that the Oriskany is the property of the state of Florida.

my good man, cast your memory back a few pages:

http://scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2108540&postcount=55

i think a few people, best expressed by Rick, understood this as the key issue
quite a ways back

I have no opinion either way on NE divers. Although Rich Sleppy lives in MS, he is originally from the NE. (Philadelphia)

The Oriskany is the property (titled to) the state of Florida's Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. (Captain Brad Williams of the FWCC.) Currently he is checking on the degrees of violations from Mr. Sleppy. I'll know and post more later.

And, I'll see at least one of you on the Oriskany tomorrow. Have a great dive!

lowwall:
The only question is whether Florida cops could arrest you on site or whether they have to wait until you cross a line x miles from shore to pick you up. The USCG could certainly report the activities to FL and even follow the boat in.

FWCC has enforcement jurisdiction on the Oriskany.

How the heck do you use the quotes thing?

you got it, just made a small error

that last [/quote] needs to look like that. you accidentally deleted the [/

lowwall:
I was thinking about this last night and realized we were approaching it all wrong. The real point is not jurisdiction, it is that the Oriskany is the property of the state of Florida. As such it's absolutely their right to determine how the public can use it, no matter where it is located. Arguing otherwise it equivalent to stating that anyone can take legally take the stereo out of any U.S. licensed cars parked in Canada.

In other words... What Uncle Ricky said.

FWCC has enforcement jurisdiciton over (as in on-site) the Oriskany.

Oriskany Divemaster:
The Oriskany is the property (titled to) the state of Florida's Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. (Captain Brad Williams of the FWCC.) Currently he is checking on the degrees of violations from Mr. Sleppy. I'll know and post more later.

Interesting.... I'm curious as to what you find out. Please do post it.

Oriskany Divemaster:

Old saying: when all is said and done, there is a lot more said than done.

That does not appear to be true in this case--thanks for the action!

Back
Top Bottom